Ethernet ports

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have decided to bring back into the kitchen/dining room, my two floorstander speakers as well as a amp, i am using a internet radio player, called the ROKU, at the moment it's working via wireless, but keeps stoppingand buffering, it never did this in the living room, so put this down to interference from all this computer stuff!!

What i would like to know is, on the back of my computer is 2 ethernet ports, 1 is connected with the internet going into it, however, the 2nd one is unused, so, can i connect a ethernet wire to this 2nd port and connect to my ethernet on the roku player??, and if so, does the ports on the computer keep powered up whilst the computer is switched off, cos theres a orange light on when its off, that way i can do away with the wireless!!.....the router is the brand new one from bt!!

Thanks guys

falafael said:
What i would like to know is, on the back of my computer is 2 ethernet ports, 1 is connected with the internet going into it, however, the 2nd one is unused, so, can i connect a ethernet wire to this 2nd port and connect to my ethernet on the roku player??, and if so, does the ports on the computer keep powered up whilst the computer is switched off, cos theres a orange light on when its off, that way i can do away with the wireless!!.....the router is the brand new one from bt!!

Possible. You'd need a crossover cable and some software to route between the two separate networks. Not sure if it would work with the computer turned off. Normally it's powered for "Wake on Ethernet" applications.

Why not get a cheap hub/switch from Fleabay, it's much less hassel.

Simply connect the Internet Radio to a spare ethernet port on the router with standard 'straight through' CAT5e cable. NO need for crossover cable from your existing PC.
You can buy pre made cables of various lengths or get one made up at the length you require.

Jack Hackett said:
Simply connect the Internet Radio to a spare ethernet port on the router with standard 'straight through' CAT5e cable. NO need for crossover cable from your existing PC.
You can buy pre made cables of various lengths or get one made up at the length you require.

Not all routers have spare ports. Also don't know how the existing PC is connected to the DSL. Falafael hasn't said.

Just to clarify, my router has 4 ports and its placed up in the spare room upstairs, 1 socket is for the 360, 2 others are for xbmc and the last one is for the pc, this cable goes outside, all round the house and into the kitchen into the desktop pc, i don't like wireless....anyways, plugging the radio into a spare socket isn't a option since there isn't a spare or if there was, i'm not running another cable round the house!!......and so, after james mentioned the switch, it twigged...i have one!!, i got my netgear FVS 318 out the loft and connected the internet feed out the pc, into the in of the netgear, then took a cable out again to the pc and one to the radio, voila, problem sorted...happy now my radio is sorted!!...although wife not happy with all the wires building up in here!!!! lol

Thanks guys

problem ocurred, basically, i cant access all my media on the pc, either with the xbox 360 or both xbmc's, al use the program called Tversity, i put it down to the netgear not allowing access....so i have no option but to remove the switch, i have gone wireless, but its picking up someone elses, and its not stopping either!!

:wha:

Sounds like an odd one. Can't think what would be causing that.

This switch isn't intelligent is it? i.e. it doesn't have a DHCP server doing funny things?

hi mate, i'm not that clued up on networking, i know a bit like, but this netgear, well, its allowing me to access the internet and all, as well as allowing the radio to work, its just that the 360 isn't accessing my movies on the computer, which is connected to the netgear, which in turn is connected to a bt router!!!
Sounds like i need to somehow allow access, but i have been in the settings of thge netgear, and i'm not 100% about changing settings, i know that the netgear is to blame as when i use utorrent, i now get the red circle for no incoming connections!

Will have to take off for now, and leave it connected to someone elses wireless!

Righty ho.

The FVS318 is a VPN/Firewall with a switch added on. This could be causing your problem.

Can you describe how everything was plugged in, including what wire went to which port and what was written on each port?

lol, surprising what a dicky connection can lead to....because of the problem, we have now put the computer upstairs in the spare room, re the internet radio, i have installed a small speaker system on top of the kitchen units, and the roku is on the top on display, looks nice, so the floorstanding speakers are for sale, now we are gonna decorate the kitchen!...aand all of this has come about just from a radio!!!!!!!!

More work for us!!
:)

having just read this post from beginning to end, and not really understanding most of it, but u get the jist, simply put the missus under the stairs, with a collander on her head and tell her she must point dorectly to magnetic north (this is important!!! not true, but magnetic!) then the water in your sink will go the opposite way round according to which hemisphere your in (it changes from county to county, yeworkshire being the worst) but she must do this with a tea towel in her hand, preferably used (tell her to was bottles demijohns etc if she needs to), then this SHOULD SORT OUT YOUR SIGNAL PROBLEMS!

Failing that though you could get some sort of wireless repeater to extend your network, thus avoiding the need to watch yout women (or man) wear a collander.

thus it is accorder to saint pear (cider HIC)

TheCheekyMonkey said:
having just read this post from beginning to end, and not really understanding most of it, but u get the jist, simply put the missus under the stairs, with a collander on her head and tell her she must point dorectly to magnetic north (this is important!!! not true, but magnetic!) then the water in your sink will go the opposite way round according to which hemisphere your in (it changes from county to county, yeworkshire being the worst) but she must do this with a tea towel in her hand, preferably used (tell her to was bottles demijohns etc if she needs to), then this SHOULD SORT OUT YOUR SIGNAL PROBLEMS!

A pint of whatever this man's having please landlord!

Latest posts

Back