ferminting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pisshead

Reaction score
hi all when my lager as finised fermenting shoul i put it straigt in to my keg or leave for a bit help :cheers:

A little more detail would help but I'll assume that you are going straight from the fermenting vessel to the keg and not going to secondary. Assuming I'm correct, 10-12 days in the FV then just keg it along with priming sugar (assuming a plastic keg and not cornie) and leave in the kitchen or wherever at ambient temperature for a week then cool and hold off drinking it for as long as you can. :)

Just a question but what if it was a corny, could you not prime using sugar or is this not the done thing as you would prime with co2 anyway ??. I just got some new corny's and have an ale in primary. Should I just rack to the corny condition for a month or two and then pressurise prior to drinking. Sorry for hi-jacking thread :?

jackmorgan said:
Just a question but what if it was a corny, could you not prime using sugar or is this not the done thing as you would prime with co2 anyway ??. I just got some new corny's and have an ale in primary. Should I just rack to the corny condition for a month or two and then pressurise prior to drinking. Sorry for hi-jacking thread :?
Whilst you can prime a cornie with sugar you're defeating the object of having them. They are able to withstand high pressure so you can therefore force-carbonate your beer rather than relying on the sugar to create that carbonation. An added bonus is that because you haven't used sugar (or whatever) to do a secondary ferment (to get the carbonation) you are not introducing more sediment into the beer. Keg the beer, give it 12PSI or so and leave it under pressure for a few days or alternatively turn the gas on and back off each time you pass. After that, store the keg wherever you want until it's ready for drinking.

I've primed my last batch (3x cornies) with spraymalt - it's an experiment really to see if I can tell a difference between natural and force carbonation - probably not but for the sake of pulling off 2 or 3 pints of cloudy beer I thought i'd give it a crack.

Good pressure is built up already and they will be dropped into the keggerator tomorrow and hooked up to the Beer Engine in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back