Caramelising first runnings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Peeps
Im about to put a Big Kenny on and Im wanting to try caremalising some of the first runnings.
Can I test my logic.
If I calculate the grainbill based on a brewlength of 22L at 1047 going into the fermenter.

If I aim for 26L from my MT and boil 5L down to 1ish that should gibe me 22 L ish at 1047 just the same as if I didnt caremelise any wort.

Write or wrong. I have just started heating up the HLT so we have about an hour or so before I commit myself to this plan

How much wort are you collecting Frisp?
I read your post as 26ltrs collected with 5 being boiled down to 1.
That leaves 21 ltrs being boiled with the hops @ roughly 10% evap per hour (estimate) leaving 18.9 ltrs post boil, assuming no loss to hops or boiler.
Than you're going to add 1ltr back.....

To me you don't have the volume to get 22ltr into the fv :wha:

Badly written.
I am Sparging to give me 34L of pre boil wort. That should give me 26L post boil.
If I take say 6L of the 34 Pre boil and boil it off I could be in the 20 - 21L of wort into the fermenter.
If Im right I will need 28L of pre boil ( which is 34 -6 for caramelising) to give me 20 21 L of fermentable wort.
If that makes sense

I got Bang on 20L so my theory was right. However Im fretting now that I have caramelised too much for a 20L brew and that it might be overpowering :pray: .
But Its a starting point and from here I will know what is a good ratio of Caramelised wort to sweet wort to give that background flavour that im after.
After all Nothing ventured, nothing gained ........

Latest posts

Back