Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. That was after the boil? For a 5 liter batch, you'd need about 8.5 liters of wort. 1 liter of trub at the bottom and about 2.3 liters boiled off over an hour. What was your preboil gravity?

Not sure if I have done something wrong here or not but I started a 5l batch yesterday using 1kg of Maris Otter 15g of Fuggles 5 at boil and 10 at 55mins got it cooled and ready to pitch took a gravity reading and it was only 1028 added the yeast anyway but isn't the OG a bit low? Is there any way I can raise it now that fermentation has started? This is my first AG brew.

That sounds very low, beers should be 1.040+. You could maybe add a bit of boiled and cooled, Dark or Light Malt Extract but now the yeast has started working you'll not be able to work out the actual strength if you do that.

Personally I'd just leave as is and let it go. You'll have a weak beer but I'm sure it will taste fine. Try it again using less water in the mash. If you want to save a bit of cash then put your next batch onto the trub of your current mash. You should still have hops left so all it will cost you is some Maris Otter (£1.30 in Natures Way)

The og was 1.052 after topping up to just over a gallon

first you say 1028 = low now you say 1052 - I am confused.....(easily)

My second AG brew is 5 days in and already almost down to my target of 1.008.
Tried to replicate an extract brew that i did some time ago with crystal hops.It was quite good but just lacked the hoppyness i was looking for. Upped the hops this time and slung in 3 grams of curacao peel at 5 minutes and will sling in a dry hop with the remaing 18 grams of crystal hops.A taster from the trial jar already tasted really good even at this stage.
Can fully understand the AG hype:thumb:

Currently trying to cool to down in the sync.

It may take a while....

It's taken a lot longer to get to this point, but its a lurking curve.

My house smells of oats!

I did my 4th of these simple brews tonight and must have been getting a bit cocky. All has gone ok, except that i have now realised that i have transferred the boiled wort into the fermentation bucket without straining out the hops. I am yet to add yeast as it is sat in my newly built brew fridge cooling down the last few degrees to get it to pitching temperature.

So, should i risk straining it into another container and then back into the fermentation bucket to remove the hops, or just pitch the yeast as it is?

I did my 4th of these simple brews tonight and must have been getting a bit cocky. All has gone ok, except that i have now realised that i have transferred the boiled wort into the fermentation bucket without straining out the hops. I am yet to add yeast as it is sat in my newly built brew fridge cooling down the last few degrees to get it to pitching temperature.

So, should i risk straining it into another container and then back into the fermentation bucket to remove the hops, or just pitch the yeast as it is?

Id leave it mate. Hope replies not too late.
I did the same with my partial mash BIAB.
Half the hops went in but it had no adverse effect on the final product.
I posted a similar thread at the time and most told me they'd done the same with no problems.

How would you classify the beer in Clibit's original recipe?

With 1kg of Maris Otter and a single hop, would that be a basic pale ale?

It sounds wonderfully simple when you read it. Would love to try.

Id leave it mate. Hope replies not too late.
I did the same with my partial mash BIAB.
Half the hops went in but it had no adverse effect on the final product.
I posted a similar thread at the time and most told me they'd done the same with no problems.

Cheers. I decided to give it a go and pitch the yeast. I'll see what happens in a few weeks!

I'm about to embark on a mini mash including a coopers real ale.
Would I use EKG early on in the boil or the fuggles? I'm guessing whichever has the higher IBU would be first...

All the same its great to see step by step plans on here.

Balls.

I thought I had a lot of malt left over.

In my haste to get the brew done I've only gone and read the scales incorrectly.

Probably used 2 ounzes of malt instead of two kilos.

Ffs

Balls.

I thought I had a lot of malt left over.

In my haste to get the brew done I've only gone and read the scales incorrectly.

Probably used 2 ounzes of malt instead of two kilos.

Ffs

Are you in the middle of brewing? Does it have to be strictly AG? Holland and barrett maybe the answer

I'm about to embark on a mini mash including a coopers real ale.
Would I use EKG early on in the boil or the fuggles? I'm guessing whichever has the higher IBU would be first...

All the same its great to see step by step plans on here.

You've probably finished by now but fuggles for bittering EKG for aroma/flavour

I'm just about to do one of these this eve, Simco for the Bittering, Columbus for flavour/aroma

Back