Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few members have asked about making a red wine using supermarket juice, the answer is usually you cannot as you need grape skins, looks like you have found a way of getting close. :thumb:

Well I can't get my wow above 17%ish
Is there a yeast with more balls, that still tastes ok
And still cheap, most important.

If you're having a problem with slow fermentation, some fruit juices are slower than others notable blueberry, then it could be worth trying 'Tronzymol' a very good nutrient can help rejuvenate stuck ferments and if you really want to go down the 'Semtex' route add some Young's 'Restart' yeast as well.

Great info thanks. My Youngs wine yeast has "21c-24c" written on it. Been kept to 20c the whole time until now. Today I upped the temp to 22c and will rack the first of the four 3 gallon PETs to another bottle tomorrow.

So just to update. I stabilised the wine in the FV (SG 1001). A day later the top half of the DJ was practically clear (see pic). It's interesting that the yeast cause the cloudiness by stirring up everything. I racked it off to a new DJ, degassed and Kwick Cleared it. It's now sitting in the shed where hopefully it will clear. Apparently you can leave the FV go for weeks and weeks without worrying about the lees? So will leave the other three DJs in for as long as it takes to get them to 995.

IMG_20160918_WA0004.jpg

So just to update. I stabilised the wine in the FV (SG 1001). A day later the top half of the DJ was practically clear (see pic). It's interesting that the yeast cause the cloudiness by stirring up everything. I racked it off to a new DJ, degassed and Kwick Cleared it. It's now sitting in the shed where hopefully it will clear. Apparently you can leave the FV go for weeks and weeks without worrying about the lees? So will leave the other three DJs in for as long as it takes to get them to 995.

IMG_20160918_WA0004.jpg

That's looking nice :mrgreen:

So 52 hours later. Not actually sure how clear it will go. Might try another clear tomorrow.

I degassed it using this

23-litre-degasser-694-p.jpg

Before adding the Kwick clear.

I wasn't overly confident about whether I was in fact aerating it

20160920_162711.jpg

Will pour a glass shortly and see what it is like !

Edit - this is a glass (room temp - not condensation) taste is actually superb (thanks Chippy!)

20160920_170231.jpg

Decided to keep the sample for research purposes and replace it with water from the kettle to keep the DJ topped up.

Rereading the Kwick Clear packet it says give it 24-72 hours. So will look again in 24 hours and decide whether to try it again.
Since I used the wine thief to get the sample I was pulling the wine through the lees to get it into the sample.

OK so it didn't clear. Have added in same amounts again, wasn't sure whether to rack it first so being under a slight time constraint today I didn't.

Edit: Have since racked it, lost about 2/3L of liquid in the process and learned a bit about what to do next time. So I topped up with a new bottle of rosé which tasted awful in comparison. Won't be racking again - straight to bag in a week next no matter how cloudy it is !

Looking better today - lots lessons learned, will probably put it all into a beginners post later after I have been through the bottling (bagging stage)
20160922_084232.jpg

Its been a long, long time since I last posted, so hello to all.

Grape juice. Is anybody having a problem sourcing it. I live down in Cornwall and have never had a problem in 20 odd years buying it. Can't find it anywhere now apart from Lidl that sells the red. Tried all the usual top six supermarkets without success. Is this just down here where I live or a countrywide problem.

Cheers.

Asda seem to be the only place to get red grape juice up here in Scotland, our local lidl don't have it on their shelves either.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Looking good - everything still taking 3x longer than I anticipated.

20160924_100259.jpg

I have the second one out and clearing also - just giving it a single Kwick Clear this time and will wait the week or so for it to clear off.

All done. Despite the dodgy photo it is absolutely crystal clear. Would not see any benefit to filtering it surely.

Tastes lovely - exactly like a nice Rosé.

However stopping it at 1.000 tells after the first glass, would prefer it drier.

Lesson learned - super yeast compound from now on !

20160927_184856.jpg

Glad it turned out well, Youngs Super Wine Yeast Compound is the only yeast i have ever used (apart from what comes with kits) and i have never had one stop short or fail.

I have resigned myself to drinking the first 33L WOWs @ SG 1.000 / 11%. They are also refusing to clear with just 1 generous Kwick Clear application.
I am using Lidl Vitafit RGJ so I suspect this is not as easy to clear as the Asda stuff. I will be switching to Don Simon RGJ which is same as the Asda one.

Have high hopes for the one still fermenting but it will take weeks/ months to get to .995. I might even rack it off the lees and continue letting it ferment.

Last night I put on 23L elderberry wine (Roddy's brewday recipe but with fresh berries) with a tonne of super compound and nutrient in it ;-)

I've never had any issue with the Vitafit RGJ clearing with Kwik clear and i use the vitafit juice a lot, are you sure the wine is fully degassed? You can also try chilling it to help speed up clearing.

Thanks for that. I just received a new degasser in the post - the one with the green fishing line in it. It is brilliant. Might have better results with it.

Latest posts

Back