28lt mash tun capabilities?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyhull

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all,

What's the largest brew length that can be done in a 28lt mash tun (coolbox) ?

Well, I've easily managed a 23L (as in 23L in the FV to ferment) brew in my 25L FV-based mashtun. Given the average of 2.5L of mash water per kg, I reckon a 28L mashtun should suffice for all but the strongest 23L brewlength brews. Certainly fine for up to 6.5% or so brews.

Thought as much.

Great im ready to go then just got to beg the pennys from SWMBO for the grain bill and then beg especially hard for the time to do it :oops:

I have done a few 55l 9% brews in a 60L mash tun so I would say you would easily get 25+L at even barley wine strength. :thumb:

Andyhull said:
Great im ready to go then just got to beg the pennys from SWMBO for the grain bill and then beg especially hard for the time to do it

Two words Sectret Brewing ;) ;)

Come on then, give me some tips on how to secret brew!

I need to somehow get 4 to 5 hours from her when lately we're not apart for more than 1/2 due to the new arival and her needs :hmm:

Simple work for yourself get yourself a big workshop, 8hrs a day :thumb:

Also useful for getting time for yourself away from family duties :whistle:

:lol:

It's an easy sell Andy!!

You are free while the HLT warms up, then you're busy for a little while getting the mash on
Then you are free for a while as the mash gets on with things then you are busy for a while as you sparge
Then you are free for a while as the wort comes up to the boil then you only need to pop back to chuck hops in now and again...

...it might take a long elapsed time but you don't have to stand there for an hour and a half watching a mashtun do... well... nothing...

...and don't worry about it for the future - once things have settled down on the baby front she'll have forgotten all this due to baby-brain and you can claim that you have to look after it all the time... :thumb:

calumscott said:
...it might take a long elapsed time but you don't have to stand there for an hour and a half watching a mashtun do... well... nothing...

Of course i do it's my first time and i need to watch it from beginning to end :lol:

In all honesty my SWMBO is a good un, if i give her a bit of notice she'll be fine.
The pennys on the other hand :hmm:

Just TELL her, your having 6 hours to yourself in order to brew your beer. TELL her its your bit of quality time.
TELL her to leave you alone and look after her child. TELL her there is no argument.........

and then say pretty please....

piddledribble said:
Just TELL her, your having 6 hours to yourself in order to brew your beer. TELL her its your bit of quality time.
TELL her to leave you alone and look after her child. TELL her there is no argument.........
and then say pretty please....
:nono:

Is that what you do? :lol:

Try an overnight mash Andy, get the water heated up in HLT, mash in ,cover and leave it overnight. 2hrs tops
Next day set a timer on your HLT controller so its at sparge temp when you wake up then sparge,boil and cool, then pitch in and clean up. 4-4.5hrs.

I did this last weekend, got sparging at 6:30am all done by 10:30am SWMBO didnt have anything to moan about, well relating to brewing ;)

piddledribble said:
and then remove her high heel from your backside

Fixed that for ya... :D

Unfortinately i don't have a temp controlled HLT :oops:
I have the 1 HLT/Boiler and the temp will be controlled by me switching it on and off whilst reading a thermometer :whistle:

get one of these i did spot on :D 10 gallon :D :thumb:

igloomashtun.jpg

igloomashtuninside.jpg

Andyhull said:
calumscott said:

Of course i do it's my first time and i need to watch it from beginning to end :lol:

In all honesty my SWMBO is a good un, if i give her a bit of notice she'll be fine.
The pennys on the other hand :hmm:

The ingredients only cost about £10 or less but think of all that money you/she is saving so it can be spent on more baby stuff. That should swing it. :grin:

Back