Design me a brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok peeps
I want some design advice
I was going to go down the 25L route and I have all the plastic tubs to prove it.
However the arrival of the barrels has promted me to rethink as It takes the same time to do 50 as it does to do 25 and a lot of people end up upgrading so im thinking start big.

Q1 Will my 30L picnic box still be bigh enough for a Mash tun?
Q2 If you had 3 barrels - 1 Stainless and Two alloy - how would you configure your brewery? ( I think Im going down the propane route)
Q3 As I dont feel inclined to build a godzilla rack to move water and wort around with gravity. Is there a cheapish option for pumping hot liquid around? Being a tight git Im thinking that a couple of good buckets could do the same job

Frisp said:
Q1 Will my 30L picnic box still be bigh enough for a Mash tun?
Q2 If you had 3 barrels - 1 Stainless and Two alloy - how would you configure your brewery? ( I think Im going down the propane route)
Q3 As I dont feel inclined to build a godzilla rack to move water and wort around with gravity. Is there a cheapish option for pumping hot liquid around? Being a tight git Im thinking that a couple of good buckets could do the same job

1) Your 30l mash tun will be big enough for 10 gallon batches of up to about 1.040 (at a guess) but it will be absolutely full. I use a 100l mash tun for my 10 gallon brewery and find that to be a good size. I can mash a whole sack of grain if need be for very strong beers or parti gyled stuff.
2) Personally I'd use the stainless one as the copper as it will be easier to clean.
3) Buckets will do the job but it'll make you work for your beer. As you're going to be doing ten gallon batches I'd recommend getting a pump (two if you want to fly sparge). I use Totton GP20/12's on my brewery and they work beautifully.Out of interest though, what do you have against gravity?

/Phil.

Latest posts

Back