Chocolate Porter recipe a la Clibits 'Have a go at simple AG'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElvisIsBeer

Reaction score
Evening all,

Very keen to try a chocolate porter AG on the hob (I haven't progressed to full-on AG yet).

Looked at this recipe: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36357

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
3.75 kg Maris Otter
0.50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L
0.25 kg Amber Malt
0.25 kg Brown Malt
0.25 kg Chocolate Malt
0.25 kg Pale Wheat Malt
0.05 kg Black (Crisp)
15.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.00 %] - Boil 60.0
15.00 g Fuggles [4.30 %] - Boil 45.0 min
15.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.00 %] - Boil 30.0
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins)
15.00 g Fuggles [4.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 Items Immersion Chiller (Boil 15.0 mins) -
1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968)

Does anyone have suggestions for a simple Choc Porter that could be done on the cooker? As in, batch size - proportions etc. Hints and tips. Likely cock ups?

Cheers

Steve

Searching the aforementioned (and excellent) thread by Clibit, I found this (from contributor Wicks):
"Also I've made a 2nd batch this time a Brown Porter, I adapted the recipe from the Greg Hughes book.

Went for a 10l batch this time

1952g Maris Otter
170g Crystal Malt
97g Chocolate Malt
146g Brown Malt
First Gold Hops 18g
One packet of yeast, 5.25g dried yeast is enough.

14 litres of water to start. Lost a bit more liquid on the boil than I expected and turned out with an OG of 1056, quite a bit higher than the recipe.

I guess I could have topped up the wort with some extra water to lower the OG but I'd already had it going in the fermenter a few days when I realised this. Batch came out at about 9l into the fermenter. Smells great, I can't wait to try this"

Sounds good. Any modifications or suggestions?

I'm thinking of roasting some cocoa nibs (or summat).

My chocolate porter was 1.5 kg maris otter then 100g each of medium crystal, dark crystal and chocolate malt then I added 50 g of cocoa at 10 mins. The malt bill was the first I did myself and I took the advice in the back of How to Brew. It had a very small bittering charge of brewer's gold but as I was racking it onto cherries I didn't want too much bitterness, think it was 20 IBUs-ish. This was for an 8 L batch on the stove top, it got 1.35 kg of cherries and was very tasty but the cherries were subtle, more of a fruity acidity which brightened up the beer.

The chocolate flavour was present but whether from the cocoa or the malts I couldn't say, it wasn't overly strong. I'm theory I'd cut down on the hop flavours if you want the chocolate to shine, vanilla might help bring it out too. Not used them yet but the brown and amber will probably round out the beer nicely.

Latest posts

Back