What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed up a 10gal batch of harvest ale using Marris otter, plisner malt and crystal 150, 1oz of Columbus at 60 min for bittering , 3oz of cascade at 10min, 1lb fresh wet hops at 5min, and fermenting half with a wild yeast I captured off apples in my brother in laws garden and the other half with US-05.

Had another pump filter incident today on the Grainfather. Knocked the end off the thing again, hence blocking the pump after the boil.

Ended up hand-balling the post boil wort into the PECO boiler I use for sparge water, with the BIAB bag to filter out the hops, then cleaning the GF out and hand-balling the wort back into the GF for the chill. (2L jug).

I was so ****** off with the process, I did not chill properly and ended up with wort at well over 30C.

I had about a kilo or so of frozen blackberries in the fridge, so I just bunged them in and pitched the re-used US 05, to ferment "on the pulp" - country wine-style, for the first week or so.

Thermometer on top of the FV says 22C and no airlock activity yet, so hoping all is well.

Very long brew-day, as it always is with a cock-up.

Bottled my American amber ale kit yesterday and hate to see an FV sitting empty, but its now to cold under the house for Ale brewing and the brew fridge is full with lager kit so....

having been given a full size larder freezer a few months back from my mother as a spare for our on " its last legs" one I though might as well put it to use in the shed rather than let it sit and gather dust. out with the second inkbird and heater and in with the Bulldog bad cat kit.

Made this up to a tad over 24 l as the 7.5% is more than enough as is at 23l. I do love the plastic pouch things the bulldog kits come in makes getting all the malt out so very easy, wished all kits used these. she is off and going at a nice steady 18.5 degrees not to be seen again for a least 2 weeks before I look at dry hopping.

Mixed reviews on this kit so hopefully I get a decent brew out of this as it certainly wont be a session type beer that you can just chug through..

Sat here as me mash has been going for 30 min. now - largest mash yet - 6.7Kg of mixed grain, got the temp. dead right at 67c If I keep up at this rate I'll be all finished by midday. The beer will be a Tripel clone. For drinking at new year. :drunk:

Dry hopped the bipa as it has reached 1012. I have now decided to put on a session beer.. summer ale from the gh book...strike water just coming up to temp.
Mental note to self..."DO NOT SMASH NOSE IN!"
All done!
Fv volume was down a couple of litres but og was high at 1046,recipe asked for 1038,I topped up and got 1040 so that'll do! Sample smells and tastes great.

Feeling the need to brew again this week but the brew fridge is taken up with my grapefruit smash !

Need another fridge !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s like having kids ... before one is out you’re thinking of making the next one 🤣

I’ve had to take away the multiple brew fridges to stop me brewing too much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve had to take away the multiple brew fridges to stop me brewing too much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is such a thing as too much then !?
I can picture my wife reading this tomorrow now with a nodding “see.. too much of a good thing”

I dry hopped a Cerveza with 50g of UK Cascade for bottling on Monday. Brewed with 1kg BE and 60g of dark brown sugar. The only problem I have with the brews I do for my beloved is that I end up wanting to drink them all and getting very possessive about them.

With the cooler weather i have now put my heat pad into use on the work top in the garage along with a couple of thick towels and another inkbird.

A triple at the brewing course. DME, Northern Brewer, MJ belgian triple yeast.

20171007_140457_HDR.jpg

tonight I brewed the world wide classics AIPA kit again that last time I brewed it was a poor yeast attenuation of just 61% after a 3 week fermentation,so tonight I brewed it again the same way with a kilo of dried super malt enhancer but this time I chucked in a bottle of morrisons golden syrup which equates to .6 of a kilo of sugars and got a good 1060 OG on a 23 litre brew.i then switched out the p1ss poor kit yeast for the crossmyloof us pale ale yeast,rehydrated as per instructions pitched at the desired temperature range of the wort and after 1.5 hours its going and the airlock is active.i have high hopes of a better FG finish and drier finished product with this yeast,i will report back:thumb::hat:

Had a go at a Cwtch recipe, fingers crossed for this one it's a lovely pint.

tonight I brewed the world wide classics AIPA kit again that last time I brewed it was a poor yeast attenuation of just 61% after a 3 week fermentation,so tonight I brewed it again the same way with a kilo of dried super malt enhancer but this time I chucked in a bottle of morrisons golden syrup which equates to .6 of a kilo of sugars and got a good 1060 OG on a 23 litre brew.i then switched out the p1ss poor kit yeast for the crossmyloof us pale ale yeast,rehydrated as per instructions pitched at the desired temperature range of the wort and after 1.5 hours its going and the airlock is active.i have high hopes of a better FG finish and drier finished product with this yeast,i will report back:thumb::hat:
Currently bubbling along like a train,used the cml us pale ale yeast as I did the last brew,there is a difference,the last one was a high krausen stinky bugger but thus one is a no visible krausen and no smell,expected the same performance

I was not going to brew this weekend, but decided yesterday to do this Vanilla Bourbon Stout, as a 70cl bottle of JB Bourbon was on offer at £13.

Once again, I had an issue with the hop filter on the GF. I had bought 35ml Jubilee clips from B&Q, and put on the end piece of the hop filter.

Just by way of variety, I managed to knock the whole thing off this week, although, with a tinge of irony, the silicon end piece stayed on beautifully.

So, out came the BIAB bag, and the PECO boiler used for heating the sparge water got redeployed as I bailed out the wort from the GF into the bag inside the boiler. Adds a lot of time to the brew day, but with the chance to squeeze the bag with the hops in it, it does not seem to kill brew-house efficiency. Got about 73% today, which if very good for me.

So 25.5L in the FV @ 1.065 from a 6.5kg grain bill and 500g of unrefined cane sugar.

The grain bill was not exactly (well, not at all, really) the same as Greg's, but the hops were Northern brewer and Progress, because they were opened & in the freezer.

Latest posts

Back