Aging Concerns

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed up 5.1 gals of an Americanized old ale. I wanted to bulk age this but I only have a 3 gal Better Bottle. I think I'll try using it and bottling the rest giving me an experiment to see if the bottled beers turn out any different as they'll age on their own, but I did want to bulk age it as long as possible in the primary fermentor.

I had been considering leaving it on the yeast cake for 3 months as what I've read is autolysis isn't a concern on the home brewing level, only the commercial level. But it is still sitting on dead yeast cells and other particles.

I've read a few threads in which for some reason or another a beer sat for nearly a year and was still good. But I have no idea if it was left in primary or if it was secondaried or not.

Would you think 3 months was an OK time frame to leave it be? I'd certainly prefer them all to taste the same.

I brewed this on 10-13 so it's been ~5 weeks so far. It's ~8.9% ABV.

And then I'm curious what a minimum aging time frame would be. I figured I'd give it 6 months and try one.

Love to help but you've already matched my record of longest time in the FV at 5 weeks. That was a troublesome wherry kit suffering from stuck fermentation. Why not keg or bottle it now?

Latest posts

Back