Evil dog temp

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colliefish

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I'm currently fermenting evil dog double ipa. It's chugging away nicely but it's only at 17 degrees. Do any of you think this is a problem?
I do intend to sort out a warming solution. (Tray with water and fish tank heater) but won't get chance for a week or so.
Cheers
Mark.

Hi guys.
I'm currently fermenting evil dog double ipa. It's chugging away nicely but it's only at 17 degrees. Do any of you think this is a problem?
I do intend to sort out a warming solution. (Tray with water and fish tank heater) but won't get chance for a week or so.
Cheers
Mark.

I started a St Peters cream stout last week and the room thermometer reads 16c. I know a different beer but bubbled away for 4 days. All quiet now so will be doing my hydro reading soon.
Maybe a bit of reassurance for you??

Well it's at 16 deg. C and its still chugging about every 15 seconds. Does anyone have an opinion. I think I will have to go down the heater belt route as i dont really want to put a heater in the beer and If i put the fermenter in a tray of water and heat that i wont be able to use the tap at the bottom when taking test samples for gravity readings.
Cheers
Mark

You sure your temp is actually 16 deg?

Reason I ask is that my room therm is set at 16 and the actual temp is ~20! I have a bunch of digital thermometers that I use to double check things as they cost buttons these days.

Also, if temp is close to what you're looking for, maybe wrap it with a couple of towels? It generates it's own heat and this just might bump it a couple of degrees...

Hi baggybill,
The temp is taken from one of the stick on jobbies, the fv is wrapped in that laminate floor underlay/insulation. polystirien stuff. Its kept under the stairs where it may be a little cooler than the house, unfortunately the only space i got for it. I'm surprised i'm getting so much bubbling at such a low temp.

so I'm after a recommended thermometer, i'm thinking of maybe something with a probe that i can stick and insulate onto the side of my fv so i dont need to put anything into the amber necter.
Cheers :D

Those wee black oval ones at Amazon for ~£2 are excellent value for money. Waterproof probe too although I insulate mine to the outside of the fv with some duct tape & bubble wrap. Can take a couple of weeks to arrive from overseas, mind you! I have 4 of them :-D

They vary a bit reading wise but are mostly within 0.5 of a degree of each other. I think they're rated accurate to +/- 1 degree. I'm more than happy with them.

Think I may have some kind of thermometer problem/fetish :oops:

While browsing said site, ended up buying... yet another one --> Landmann 13625 <sigh>

Had just watched a BIAB video on Youtube where this one was used. And of course, had to follow that with a review vid of the unit itself.

This will maybe save me running back and forward into my garage checking temps all the time. OCD maybe? :shock:

Latest posts

Back