wood flavoring to beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proevofanatik

Reaction score
I got a new job in a timber yard and we throw out a lot of good scrap timber. I know that oak is very commonly used for aging beer. But I would like to know if anyone has used any other types of timber to flavor their beer. We stock a lot of western red cedar and the smell of it is just amazing. Would I be a good idea to use this in my beer? The other timber products we have are the following. Ash, sapele, dark red meranti, red pine, maple, iroko and black walnut. Please let me know if anyone has used any of these woods? My main interest is western red cedar though because of how strong the smell is. It has a big hint of a nutty smell. Also would it be a good idea to add mixed wood to a brew?

cheers

My guess is that the timber you sell is treated with all sorts of nasties... I guess oak flavouring chips you get for brewing a food safe which is obviously very important!

None of the timber is treated. It's straight from the log. Off saw timber. We do sell treated timber for decking. But that is a totally different product.

Back