Dry hopping with pellets.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magoorty

Reaction score
I'd be grateful for some advice. I've a batch of Wilko's golden ale just about halfway through fermentation. I plan on adding some Goldings pellets to the bucket around now and was wondering the best way to go about it. Should I make a muslin bag and weigh it down, or can I just put them straight in? If so, should I crumble them in? (read it in an old book). I usually siphon straight to a bottling bucket after fermentation so I'm wondering, do the pellets drop out and settle at the bottom if chucked straight in.

Thanks in advance.

I'd be grateful for some advice. I've a batch of Wilko's golden ale just about halfway through fermentation. I plan on adding some Goldings pellets to the bucket around now and was wondering the best way to go about it. Should I make a muslin bag and weigh it down, or can I just put them straight in? If so, should I crumble them in? (read it in an old book). I usually siphon straight to a bottling bucket after fermentation so I'm wondering, do the pellets drop out and settle at the bottom if chucked straight in.

Thanks in advance.

Pellets I have used in the primary FV have tended to drop straight out. Since you use a bottling bucket I would not be too concerned that you will get hop dust in the final bottles.

I would be more inclined to use boiling water to separate the pellets and leave it to cool down to ambient temps then add, but I doubt it makes much difference.

The Wiko Golden Ale is a great kit for this sort of approach, so good luck with it, think you will enjoy it. :drink:

The pellets have been in 3 days now and seem to have just formed a layer on the top. Is this normal, or should I encourage it to sink with a gentle stir?

As long as there is a CO2 layer on top to protect the pelletised hop dust, there is probably no need to try and sink them. When the bubbles stop rising, the hop dust will drop.

Dry hopping always adds yet another level of patience :doh:

And that is hard.

The less you rack into the bottling bucket, the less gets into the bottles.

Cheers Slid. I couldn't resist and gave it a wee stir. It wasn't as dense a layer as I'd thought. The FV is still bubbling away a fair bit after 2 and a half weeks, especially since the stir.
It smells amazing.

Back