Forgot priming sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAngriBrewer

Reaction score
Ahem, so the other night I was bottling my latest batch of Belgian beer (made from a brewferm kit) whilst enjoying a few bottles of my home brewed barley wine (also from kit and very strong :drunk:). When I peeled myself off the floor in the morning, surrounded by nicely capped full bottles, empties and unwashed equipment I realised to my horror that I had forgotten to add any priming sugar :eek:

What is the best course of action?

1) Open the bottles and add priming sugar before sealing them again
2) Forget sugar they will come in eventually (and how long might this be?)

I plan on keeping the beer until early Jan before drinking.

Thanks for any advise
Angribrewer

I'd crack them and prime the bottles before re capping.

If you don't add sugar they probably wont come in at all because there will be no sugar left to carbonate the beer. So unless you like them really flat I'd get opening and just drink one less while you're at it this time :-D

Don't think you've any choice here mate.

I bottled a stout in 2 litre pets with no sugar that I force carb when I want to drink. Not one single bottle has carbed up on its own and its been sitting for months in a reasonably warm place (14-16').

I would never laugh at a fellow brewer's plights but this tickled me (if only because I've enforced the 'drink a homebrew as you brew' rule when I shouldn't have, myself.)

I second the gents above, flat beer is the devil's work. Good luck, and save the barley wines for emergencies (when the in-laws visit.)

Thanks Guys - i'll add the sugar tonight - preferably in the early evening to avoid any more mishaps :D

Cheers

Angri

It is , I believe, both illegal and immoral not to drink homebrew whilst making more of the stuff. So even if you did forget the priming sugar, you were morally in the right. :lol:

Somewhere on the Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" is a voice saying, in what sounds like an Irish sort of an accent (?) "I certainly was in the right".

You certainly were and agree with helping the carbonation along as advised.

Screw top bottles have always been my preference - makes this issue a no brainer for a start.

Does not GW's book suggest at one point that AG beer done right requires no priming?

Back