Fermentation done in 4 days? or hydrometre broken?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jphil123

Reaction score
Just took a gravity reading as the airlock gone quiet very sudden at day 4 of the fermentation. I was fully expecting the 1020 stuck fermentation problem. To my surprise, it reads 1012. FG according to BeerSmith is 1013 (brew details below). I have done more than 30 brews, some fermented longer, some a little shorter, but this would be a sensational result. Or....my hydrometre got whacked. Not so sure about that, as the sample tasted pretty dry. At least drier than what a 1020 beer would taste like. Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted, but just a little puzzled what drives this rapid fermentation. If some of you would like to review the details below and point me in the right direction, I would be grateful.

Brew details:
14 litre, BIAB method
Grain bill: 2.5k Marris Otter, 0.75k Munich I, 0.1k Acidulated (Sauer) Malt
Mashed for 75mins at 65*C. No mash out (simply forgot)
Boiled for 90 mins, with hop additions at first wort and whirlpool/flame-out
Added some Irish moss and perhaps 1/8 teaspoon Servomyces yeast nutrient during the last 5 minutes of boil.
Cooled down to 22*C and pitched re-hydrated Lallemand Nottingham yeast.
SG was 1056 (target 1054)
Initial fermentation started in approx 12 hours and turned pretty violent after 24 hours (blow-off tube). Ambient temperature, constant at 20*C.

Never used Servomyces or Notthingham yeast before, would either/both of them be the contributor to this turbo-fermentation?

Any ideas?

There's something funny going on. You're not the first I've heard this happen to on this forum, and earlier this evening I was talking to someone who, this week, had a kit (Geordie Bitter - maybe export) finish fermenting after 4 days at 22C. :hmm:

I've found that Nottingham yeast can be a bit of an animal I used it twice last year when i could not get my usual saf 04, both brews turned out ok just a shame it doesn't condition in 4 days

It's not unusual. Ale fermentation is normally complete within a week, and the bulk of it happens in 2-4 days in many cases, with most of the ale yeasts I've used, if the temperature is 20-22C. I find a typical fermentation takes about 24 hours to build up, then it goes berserk for two days, gradually calms down over the next 24 hours, and the last few gravity points take a few more days. I then leave for another week or so for the yeast to clean up and settle out. And then cold crash to finish the settling out job.

Not surprised by you hitting 1.012 as notty is a high to very high attenuator. I have got an attenuation of 83% for two out of the the last three brews I've used it with.

I to the gravity reading for a guinness clone I'm bottling today (using notty) and got 75% attenuation. It still came out at 1.009 FG though

Thanks for all the feedback. I have been using Safale yeasts mostly. Good to know Nottingham is so much quicker. Look forward to taste the result. But, will first let it clean up after itself for a while.

Latest posts

Back