A very long lager fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragnar

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Roughly 4 weeks ago, I started a new lager. It's been sitting at roughly 11°C for the whole 4 weeks and it hasn't shown any signs of stopping; the airlock still goes off quite regularly. I haven't touched it at all but I got extremely curious now so I took a sample.

SG was 1.047 and it's come down to roughly 1.014, which is more or less what the estimate was for it. But the odd thing I noticed with the sample is that it's really fizzy. Like seriously fizzy, as I was pouring the sample to the hydrometer tube, it looked as if I was pouring commercial lager from a bottle. Looks like the yeast just keeps on converting something into CO2. I just have never seen the beer being so fizzy in the primary.

I did make a fairly big and healthy yeast starter, so there's quite a bit of yeast sitting there.

What do you guys think? Is there reason for alarm or should I just be happy and it's all going well? I'm gonna keep it in there for a little longer and take a sample maybe on Friday, to see if it's stable.

Other than that it looks great - it has cleared up perfectly and the taste is OMG how good.

I'll drop you the recipe as well:

Mjölnir Lager

Ingredients (10L boil, 20L batch)

250g CaraPils malt (steep at 65°-70° for 20 minutes)
50g Carabohemian malt (steep at 65°-70° for 20 minutes)
2.5kg Light DME (60m)
250g Wheat DME (60m)
40g Spalt Select (5.0%) (60 minutes) - IBUs: 22
50g Liberty (6.4%) (30 minutes) - IBUs: 27
20g Liberty (6.4%) (15 minutes) - IBUs: 7
1/4 tablet Protafloc (15m)
Wyeast 2278 Czech Pils yeast (24h yeast starter)
40g Spalt Select (5.0%) dry hop (5 days)

Fermentation & maturation
Primary fermentation start: End:
Lagering start: End:
Bottled/kegged on:

Beer Profile
Original Gravity: Estimated 1.049 (was 1.047)
Final Gravity: Estimated 1.013
Alcohol by volume: Estimated 4.7%
IBUs: 46

+1 cool fermenting lagers take longer to do, you'll know when it's finished because all the yeast will drop out leaving it clear. Probably has a little way to go, I find lagers generally finish lower than ales, in the region of 1.008.

at 11c it will be a fizzy sup as a lot more of the co2 created by fermentation will remain in solution than an ale fermented at a higher temperature, same reason a cold tinny psts, and a warm one fountains ;)

with a gravity of 1014 id be tempted to raise the temp for a diactyl rest before dropping down to your lagering temps

Thanks so much, guys!

Fil, that's exactly what I was gonna do but I wanted to wait a little since I could still hear the airlock go off every now and then. It seems to have quieted down now, so I'm gonna do another reading tonight. If it's stable, I'm gonna raise the temperature a few degrees over the next couple of days. Then straight into a keg and lagering it is.

But that's a great explanation and comparison! Makes perfect sense! :) Never realised tho, never noticed the high fizziness in my previous lager fermentations.

Darrellm, at 1.008? Wow, that's quite low. I'm not sure if mine's gonna go down that low. But we'll see. I'll keep this thread updated, if you guys have interest! :)

Back