coopers mexican cerveza

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpbeer

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm planning on doing a Mexican cerveza for a few mates who like light beer. I have a coopers brew enhancer 1 I'm going to use. I'm thinking of adding 500 g of light DME as well as I have read this somewhere. Does this sound OK I'm still new to this. Also I plan to ferment it at 18c so should I pitch the yeast at 18c or pitch it higher then gradually bring it down. Any tips or feedback appreciated.
Cheers jp

If your mates like it light, you could even add 500g sugar instead of DME with the brew enhancer. 500g DME will make it less like a commercial lager and more like a light ale. The Cerveza kit comes with an Ale yeast/

18C is at the bottom end of what this yeast likes and if it goes below overnight it might take a while to ferment.

Pitching slightly higher than 18C will not do it any harm - it makes more sense to add the yeast ASAP after making up your wort.

Good luck :thumb:

Hi slid thanks for the info. I think I will try and keep it light and add the 500g of sugar with the brew enhancer 1. I have 500g of dextrose is this OK or should I just use table sugar?
Do you think i should ferment it slightly higher like 20c or would 3 weeks in fv at 18c be enough?
Would like to have this ready for xmas.
Cheers jp

Hi guys
Have this coopers Mexican cervesa fermenting for 2 weeks now. The og was 140 I had it fermenting at 19c( have brewbelt hooked up to stc 1000 ). After 10 days the SG was 1014 so I upped the temp to 20c but after 14 days it is still 1014. This seems a bit high, maybe I have a stuck fermentation? Newbie to this so any help appreciated.
Cheers

Is there any life in it, bubbles etc.

Give it a stir

Scaff

Hi scaff
No not much life in it. No krausen at all.
Will just stirring it start the fermentation again or should I heat it up. When stirring should I avoid the bottom?
Cheers

Does the fermenting vessel have a lid with a hole for an airlock ?

If it does fit one and see if it bubbles.

Re the stirring, a gentle movement of the base won't hurt, imagine like your having to move it to a new location. You could try new yeast in a starter of warm water and sugar then add that.

Or, try a different hydrometer, I have about 4 of them and only 2 are what I'd say are accurate.

Scaff

No the fv is the new coopers one with the starter kit. There no hole in it just a plastic sleeve that lets the lid lift up and down. I'll give it a stir and test it again tomarrow. My hydrometer came with the kit so maybe that's the problem.
Thanks for the help. I'll post my results
Cheers

Give it a stir.

Move it to a warm place and wait.

Scaff

Which of the extra fermentables did you end up using? Enhancer and sugar or enhancer and DME?

The enhancer itself contains DME which isn't 100% fermentable so the more DME that goes in will leave more behind causing the FG to be higher.

I did the same kit with muntons beerkit enhancer and an extra 500g of light spray malt and I couldn't get it any lower that 1012. And that stayed in secondary for a month to try and get clearer.

It might be finished but giving it a stir and another week isn't going to hurt it.:)

Hi honey monster
I ended up using the coopers brew enhancer 1 along with 250g of light DME. I gave it a stir last night if it doenst change by Sunday I think I'll go ahead and bottle it, that'll be 18 days in fv. What's the Max time it should be left in fv?

How'd your brew end up honey monster, would u recommend the kit?

Cheers

There isn't really a maximum time it can be left in the FV 4. I do like to transfer my beers into a secondary bucket for a while after it finished fermenting. Longest I ever left a beer was 6 weeks in secondary.

I've done the kit 3 time and until recently it had been the best kit I'd done. All the guys at my wedding got a bottle and it went down a treat!

Well stirred it last night and checked the gravity tonight but still no movement. I guess I didn't put in enough fermentable sugar. I think I'll just go ahead and bottle it on sunday.Hope it turns out as good as yours honeymonster. Keep u posted.

Cheers

The only snag with this is that I like a Corona in the summer and I especially like having a wedge of lime in the neck of the bottle and swigging directly from it (usually while I burn the sausages.) The sediment at the bottom of a homebrewed beer makes this nigh on impossible and means I'd have to have it in a glass with a wedge of lime, like some tart.

The only snag with this is that I like a Corona in the summer and I especially like having a wedge of lime in the neck of the bottle and swigging directly from it (usually while I burn the sausages.) The sediment at the bottom of a homebrewed beer makes this nigh on impossible and means I'd have to have it in a glass with a wedge of lime, like some tart.

Pour your brew in a glass 1ltr jug from wilko (£2) put it in fridge then gently pour into your empty corona bottle and top with lime.

Hi, newbie to the site so hello to all.

Recently tried Coopers Cervesa, followed instructions to the T, although I have not added the recommended Enhancer Kit as it was only a recommendation. Bottled the brew with 2 x carbonation tablets per bottle & early signs are disappointing albeit it has only been bottled for 4 days but there seems to be little or no carbonation.

Will this improve over the weeks or should I have added the recommended enhancer kit ?

Any advice welcomed ?

Thanks in advance.

Godber1899

Back