MasterPint budget kits (Hambleton Bard)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopping_Mad

Regular.
Reaction score
Picked up 2 of these today 1 pale ale and 1 Czech pilsner from lhbs at £7.45 each an absolute bargain got some spraymalt and selection of hops hopefully should turn out a half decent pint

Just put the pale ale on.
Kit +500g light dry malt extract + 700g sugar and a cheeky tin of golden syrup came out at 1050 gravity.
12g kit yeast . Going to dry hop with a fairly good portion of Willamette and nugget will try and report back when I've tried it.

Just got my pale on.

Doing it slightly 'budget' style. Kit LME of 1.6kg, cheap 1.5kg tin of LME from Brewsmarter (c.£4), and 500 gms of dextrose. All looked a bit thin in the FV so brewed short to 21 ltrs.

Will give it a dry hop of Centenniel 12 days in.

I found the yeast to be very loose when I transferred to secondary but it did a good job getting down to 1005 .
Bottled about a week ago about another 2 and I'll have a taste test.

I've just bottled the continental lager with .5kg light spray malt and .5kg dextrose. Smells very much like a lager. I'll tell you how it comes out.

Said I'd give you an update. Needs to be left a lot longer but I've run out of beer so sod it. So still slightly cloudy but drinkable. Smells strongly of cider and the first couple of sips are very cidery but as it goes down it tastes like a very fruity lager as expected from a Continental.

The cider smell and taste has gone and its a lot dryer than before. Thank god thought I had an infection.

My final trial jar two days before bottling (1009 FG from starting gravity of 1046) was a bit bland so I dry hopped it before bottling with about 40gms of half leftover pellets from Saison kit and half whole Centenniel. This perked it up a bit by bottling time, but I'm still not getting too excited.

I'll try it in a month and see. It'll probably be ok but, like anything, you tend to get what you pay for.

Having a try of the pale tonight and its not unpleasant a nice hoppy bitterness to begin with a sweet aftertaste. I do think that without the dry hop it would be a very bland beer . Still a bit cloudy but I am enjoying this brew.

Back