Pressure Barrel Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t25vanman

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I don't want to lose another barrel of lager (2 already) so before i put my third lot into the pressure barrel could someone tell me if the barrel should let air in as well as out ?.
I have just been cleaning mine and noticed that when i filled the centre of the lid with water it disappeared into the barrel which means that air can also get in.Is this meant to happen.

thanks.

no the barrel should be a sealed pressure vessel, excess pressure will escape thru the prv pressure release valve usually a rubber band arrangement around the co2 valve, sometimes a blow out stud in the lid?

PBs are great for beer like bitter which dont need extra condition(fizz) but generally lagers benefit from a much higher level of condition than u can achieve in a pressure barrel so bottles are generally favored.

priming with more sugar will just increase the pressure at the conditioning temperature needed to keep the yeast active which will just vent through the prv, so will not add extra condition, just take longer to condition to the same level as you would get with a lower sugar dose, tho due to the basic prv's used it can vary from one pb to the next...

Just to let you know that after changing the cap i have now brewed a lovely hoppy lager :smile:

Latest posts

Back