Dry Hopping a Wherry???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think it was Safale US-O5
I just decided to try something else after my first Wherry nightmare,this was a free kit sent to me by Muntons rep,fair play to them for replacing it I suppose.
Cheers

Dry hopped my Wherry this morning. 35g Citra added loose, and 15g done as a hop tea in 200ml boiling water for 10 minutes. I'm after a bit more flavour in the beer as well as the aroma, so I'll see how it goes. Hopefully get it bottled Wednesday/Thursday.

I thought the Wherry had stuck as it started slowly - no activity in the airlock for 48hrs - then it stopped 24 hours later. I gave the FV a gentle rock and it started again, only to do the same again the next day :( Doesn't seem to have caused any problems though, as the SG today was 1.016 (target is 1.014).

And just to be contrary the Wherry has been happily bubbling away since adding the hops yesterday morning!

I bottled this three weeks ago, and as it was clear I tried one after two weeks. Very nice, though SWMBO pulled a face after just a sniff and was decidedly unappreciative after actually tasting it! Had another bottle on Friday and it's improving still. I normally reckon Wherry gets to its best after six weeks, so a little while to go yet.

Overall it seems similar to the limited edition Festival Summer Glory, though obviously with the aroma of citra rather than elderflowers. That's no bad thing as the Summer Glory is my favourite Festival kit after Razorback.

Does temperature have any relevance on dry hopping?

I'm running out of space under the stairs and thought about moving the FV elsewhere cooler to dry hop to make space for the next brew!

Have you smelt hop pellets??!?!?
There's enough smell there to permeate an igloo I reckon... ;)

Latest posts

Back