some deliberations on BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brew Pirate posted a link to an article on them:

http://byo.com/brown-ale/item/2967-induction-heat

Yes thanks Baggybill, read the article looks really good. I would like to try to make a kettle though with two heating elements from two cheap domestic kettles and a brew bin ( I don't have anything to cut stainless steel.) the article cited above mentions that there 'may be', some issues with aroma and flavour with direct contact to grain in a large kettle with heating elements but i dunno if this is true or not.

You wouldnt normally have the element on while the grains are in. If you do, and you're doing biab, keep the grain bag off the element with something. Many use a cake cooling rack or similar.

You wouldnt normally have the element on while the grains are in. If you do, and you're doing biab, keep the grain bag off the element with something. Many use a cake cooling rack or similar.

Hi mark, what about elements contacting not with the grains but the wort, would that produce any off flavours etc? reason i ask is that i saw a video of a guy doing a mash in a cooler using just a grain bag. No drilling holes in copper pipes or using the stainless steel mesh from a flexible tap connector. He did not need to take an initial two litres and recirculate it because the bag provided all the filtration he needed. He just siphoned off the wort through a normal tap into a kettle. It was so simple.

I would love to make a kettle using two elements from two cheap kettles, both rated 2200 watts, giving me a total of 4400 watts which is way enough to boil 28 litres in a converted fermentation vessel. Once it boiled i would turn one of the elements off and it would produce a nice rolling boil.

Hi mark, what about elements contacting not with the grains but the wort, would that produce any off flavours etc? reason i ask is that i saw a video of a guy doing a mash in a cooler using just a grain bag. No drilling holes in copper pipes or using the stainless steel mesh from a flexible tap connector. He did not need to take an initial two litres and recirculate it because the bag provided all the filtration he needed. He just siphoned off the wort through a normal tap into a kettle. It was so simple.

I would love to make a kettle using two elements from two cheap kettles, both rated 2200 watts, giving me a total of 4400 watts which is way enough to boil 28 litres in a converted fermentation vessel. Once it boiled i would turn one of the elements off and it would produce a nice rolling boil.

Using a bag as a filter is an option ofcourse. It's not really brew in a bag though. Normally when people do biab, they are referring to a single vessel, full volume mash. Not a normal mash but using a grain bag as a filter.

The tesco option is well thought of I believe. I personally have gone for a single 2.75 kw element. I'm moving house soon so will add a second 2.75kw element afterwards as I will ensure I have somewhere safe to plug it in. I don't have that at the moment and the house is rented unfortunately. When I have the element(s) on I will recirculate will a pump to keep the temp even throughout the beer and control the temps with a pid & ssr

The tesco option is well thought of I believe. I personally have gone for a single 2.75 kw element. I'm moving house soon so will add a second 2.75kw element afterwards as I will ensure I have somewhere safe to plug it in. I don't have that at the moment and the house is rented unfortunately. When I have the element(s) on I will recirculate will a pump to keep the temp even throughout the beer and control the temps with a pid & ssr

ok thats great! So its considered that as long as there is good circulation in the vessel that electrical elements don't pose any problems. I tried to find two Tesco kettles but they are sold out. Argos has them for the same price though. £4.99 - Many thanks for taking the time :D

No problem. Yes as long as the bag isn't touching the elements its fine. If you put an element in a normal mash tun (i.e. not using biab), use a false bottom with the element below and recirculate if poss while the elements are on and grain is in i.e. heating to mash out temp. If you dont have a pump, use a jug to take out from the bottom and back through the top.

No problem. Yes as long as the bag isn't touching the elements its fine. If you put an element in a normal mash tun (i.e. not using biab), use a false bottom with the element below and recirculate if poss while the elements are on and grain is in i.e. heating to mash out temp. If you dont have a pump, use a jug to take out from the bottom and back through the top.

hi can i ask what is mash out temperature? i suspect that its designed to stop the starch sugar conversion process?

Yes exactly. It stops the enzymatic activity and I believe it makes lautering easier. It's said to increase efficiency too although that may be debatable. Just uping the temp to 76-78c and having a 10 min rest.

The raised mash out temp does help increase efficiency by making the sticky wort hotter and therefore more viscous - thinner.

Yes it does. I was referring to sugar extraction efficiency. Thats the debatable part. Brewhouse efficiency it should help yes.

I went for the malt miller gas burner. Decent price, decent burner. Just make sure you get the regulator that suits your gas. I had a propane reg and a bottle of butane on my first brewday. Needless to say it was postponed :(

Latest posts

Back