Black IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By amber malts do you mean amber DME/spray malt?

Did you add the honey at the beginning of the boil?

For my honey wheats/blondes I prefer to add at flameout so that it keeps a portion of the flavor. I've also added it to the primary a week after fermentation began but then I can't get an accurate OG reading. Many claim honey won't add honey flavor but I find this false, though it doesn't taste just like honey out of the jar, rather more like a weaker watered down taste. I also use a bit of honey malt too. My honey wheat tastes just about like Blue Moon's honey wheat.

hi, amber malts are also sometimes called Victory or Biscuit malts.
Yes, the honey went in a the start of the boil. I read somewhere that as a natural product it contains bacteria, and so I thought that it needed proper sterilisation. But you're right that it did kill most of the honey aroma.

Actually honey has no bacteria issues. It's why it needs no preservatives. But it can contain wild yeast, which could become some sort of problem if added after fermentation began straight from the jar (if it's raw honey), but it may not even be noticed much, if at all, unless the yeast is salvaged and reused a few times in which the new strain grows further.

Back