Corny Keg Questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backwoodsgolduk

Reaction score
Hi,

Just picked up a couple of corny kegs, but just wondering exactly how to go about using them. I've got an 18L batch of orange cascade pale ale I'd like to keg at the weekend. I should also say I haven't yet bought a regulator and have no clue how to use one.

Generally I primary for 7-10 days, secondary for 7 days with dry hop or vanilla etc. then bottle.

Please correct me in the following statements if I'm off the mark...

So in the corny, once I rack my beer from secondary to the keg, I then clear the headspace by 'burping' the keg.

I then force carb around 30 psi for a day or two at low temps.

Then I bring the psi down to serving level and leave 5 days.

The beer should then be carbed to the correct level for serving.

As I go through the keg will pressure drop, requiring me to 'top up' the keg with gas to keep it at the correct psi?

My main question is once I set the psi do I leave the gas 'on' during the 5 days or do I turn the gas on until the guage goes to the correct psi and then turn off? I'm assuming the latter. Which brings me onto the question, how do I bring the psi down from say 30 to 10? By releasing the pressure through the pressure release valve?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

I used to gas them up to correct pressure then turn off the gas. Its a sure way of detecting leaks. Have you got the disconnects with the kegs as you fill the keg with beer from the out connect. Maybe 30 psi is also a bit high try 20 and see how it goes.

Cheers , I'll try 20. I have the disconnects, to fill the keg is it literally a case of purging the keg with CO2 with the lid off and then transferring the beer in? Then clear the headspace and force carb?

dont forget the temperature!!!! check a kegging chart for a guide on the relationship between temperature and pressure when containing dissolved co2 in beer.
http://www.kegerators.com/articles/carbonation-table-pressure-chart.php

generated buy the yanks they can imho overestimate the level of condition a tad, but its all about personal taste..

Then when serving consider the serving pressure and apply restriction on the beerline to the tap to reduce the keg pressure down to a 1-2psi drop at the tap point. a dramatic drop in pressure from keg pressure to normal is very likely to stimulate a foam out resulting in 5-6litres of foam per 1/2 pint of uber flat beer served. 5-6ft of 3/16" microline between the keg and tap should balance out the keg pressure for even most hi conditioned lagers ;)

You can pick up an inline flow-control thing that plugs into your beer line for less than £10 on ebay. My understanding is that this will reduce the flow-rate the same as adding loads of beer line, but with more flexibility ( you don't have to cut/add line to tweak ).

I've got one getting delivered tomorrow, so I can't speak to how effective they are, but I'm pretty sure they're standard equipment in pubs.

You can pick up an inline flow-control thing that plugs into your beer line for less than £10 on ebay. My understanding is that this will reduce the flow-rate the same as adding loads of beer line, but with more flexibility ( you don't have to cut/add line to tweak ).

I've got one getting delivered tomorrow, so I can't speak to how effective they are, but I'm pretty sure they're standard equipment in pubs.

Got a link? Seem to be several on ebay, not sure if they're all the same or not.

i use 3 x flow control taps which contain the same cone/oring flow control as in the inline devices, and they work a treat for beers served at a low pressure upto about 6-8psi (on my regs) simple set during the first pour and done,
With beers served at higher pressures its almost impossible to find the sweet spot, and each pint poured needs a control tweak never really hitting the sweetspot.

2 x inline together may sort this tbh i never tried it??

on my standard tap i have about 5ft of 3/16" micro line fitted, and serve beers with keg pressures upto 15psi through it.

if using the 3/16" line with lower conditioned beers they just take a lil longer to pour ;) But i set a slow flick n leave flow on all my taps ;)
8407448725_90ce123ef0.jpg

edit fyi my kegs sit without temp control at close to the outside ambient temp so i am prone to over conditioning this time of year..

I bought one of these ,but it's still in the post, so I don't know if it's any good or not.

should work well, it should be well marked but the beer goes in toward the tip of the 'cone', and exits at its base, 3/8" in and 3/8" out would be easier unless you have 5/16" line/taps tho..

That's the right size for my setup - 3/8 from keg, 5/16 to tap - I have a brass compression fitting there at the minute, so I'll just swap that for this.

Just wondering if mrobbinson has tried your flow control yet? I contacted a couple of sellers on ebay that have their own websites with a 3/8 - 3/8ths version. Mine should be in the post.

Hoping they can reduce my psi at the taps..

I've had a beer shortage, so I haven't had a chance yet. I'll be trying it tonight.

I've also ordered a new cornie to prevent future beer-shortage mishaps.

Just wondering if mrobbinson has tried your flow control yet? I contacted a couple of sellers on ebay that have their own websites with a 3/8 - 3/8ths version. Mine should be in the post.

Hoping they can reduce my psi at the taps..

Sorry I completely forgot to reply.

I tried this on Friday and it was excellent.

Latest posts

Back