help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lewdownlee

Reaction score
I have barreled my Beer but instead of adding 2 1/2 ounces of sugar I added 2 1/2 pounds of sugar. I have taken the lid off to make sure the pressure doesn't blow the lid off.

Will the Beer be ok and will it be very strong?

Thank you

Hello Lewdownlee

That's quite a discrepancy.

"I have taken the lid off to make sure the pressure doesn't blow the lid off"
Fair play. essential precaution.

"Will the Beer be ok?"

Maybe. It will certainly be interesting.

"will it be very strong?"

If this was in addition to the recommended 'add 1 kg of sugar' then yes, you will have added an estimated additional 2.5% abv to your beer (rough estimate),

Uner no circumstances replace the lid on the barrel. Treat this as a fermentation and wait for activity to stabilise. Then re-barrel.

I was a bit silly! Realised my mistake and there was a significant gas build up after two hours of lid being on!

Do I need to rebarrel Or can I leave it in there now?

Thank you

Sorry, it was late and I'd been drinking 8% ginger beer..
I meant re-prime, not re-barrel :doh:.
It sounds mad to talk about adding even more sugar but if it were me the only way I'd feel safe would be to let the 2.5 lbs of sugar ferment out fully which will of course leave flat beer.

That's great! I''ll let it ferment then add the extra primer later!

It tasted like shandy last night so should be fun when it's extra strong!

:thumb:
Worst case the finished brew may not taste great but you should still end up with a drinkable beer and you and your mates can get ratted for a fraction the usual cost.
Or, if that's not appealing, you'll have learned from this and will know - once and for all (because there's a lot of argument) - what a hefty dose of ordinary Tate&Lyle sugar does to a kit brew.
Please post your verdict on the final outcome, I'm genuinely interested.
Good luck.

Thank you for your help and advice BruinTuns. Will post here once I start drinking it soon!!

I am ggoing to start on it next week I think!

A couple of final points which I'm sure you've thought of but I'll mention for any newbs who check in.
First is that the secondary fermentation will leave behind a lot more sediment on the bottom of the barrel than would usually be there so you'll need to take extra care if you move it. You may also have to forego the last few pints.
In fact, for those reasons and thinking about it now, you might actually be better off transferring it back into the primary fv while it ferments out. Bit more faff but maybe time well spent.
The second point is that although the keg mustn't be sealed tight during fermentation it's a good idea to keep it covered to keep out bugs.
Who knows, this may just turn out to be delicious! :drink:

Having a sample tonight!! It is bitter sweet but alright! Just cloudy but I can live with that!!

Latest posts

Back