Is Nitrous Oxide soluble?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

Landlord.
Reaction score
I bought some N2O sparklets for my pressure keg in order to keep the beer under pressure for serving without making is fizzy. Now, does anyone know if this gas will be absorbed in the same way that CO2 is that will requir the occasional topup even when not serving?

Hi I would have thought so although if the seal is good enough it should stay in solution (never seen these sparklets, the usual use for N2O is refillable whipping cream containers) (or making cars, etc go very fast)!!!

taxidiver said:
Let us know how you get on.
It should be a laugh.
:D
Geoff

I honestly didn't know you could just buy nitrous oxide on the open market, I thought the medicos had it all locked down.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

aren't they suppose to make your drink smother due to the smaller bubbles. Good for stout type beers.

Gary.

I am using this in a pressure barrel full of stout, mainly to avoid carbonating it.
I did notice that the sparklets were slightly shorter than the CO2 ones and as such were a little looser in the holder, so a bit of engineering may be needed for the next one.

Nitrous oxide is not the same as the mixed gas used to dispense cream flow beers. Pubs use a mix of nitrogen and co2.

Nitrous oxide is used for whipping cream as it migrates into the cream easily due to its high lipid content and doesn't oxidise the cream. It also has very good antibacterial properties as well.

So what is the benifit of using it? Does it produce a creamier head like Nitrogen/co2 mix or is it used purely for its antibacterial properties or is it an urban myth propogated by HBS as being the same as Nitrogen/Co2. :wha: :wha:

Bumping an old thread here.
Can anyone with the experience confirm if simply using the nitrogen 'sparklets' through a (s30) pin valve gives a creamier head? I'm considering buying one ahead of kegging a Coopers stout in the very near future.
Cheers all!

After some research I get the theory. Low carbonation in the beer, but served under high pressure (with nitrous oxide, NO) through very small holes knocks tiny bubbles out the brew without tons of foam from excess carbonation. The NO doesn't dissolve into the beer to cause diddy bubbles. Ideally you need a tap with a special opening consisting of several pin prick holes _ I wonder if a standard barrel tap only just open would create this effect at all? Anyone tried?

Ahh. Something similar must happen when I put a head on my porters and stouts with a syringe.

My P&S' are usually low carbonation and the high pressure comes from squirting beer throuth the narrow nozzel (acting somewhat similar to the pin pricks in a parker, I guess) of the syringe . Interesting :thumb:

Latest posts

Back