What causes the homebrew twang?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I do to save money on yeast is get a fresh vial of liquid yeast from White Labs and make a big 2000ml starter at 1.040 on a stir plate. Chill overnight then decant off 1000ml spent beer, shake it up and add to 4 jars and throw into the fridge. When I want to make a beer I grab a jar and make a starter and grow it up once I am down to my last jar I make up another 2000ml batch and stock up again.

US-05 and Danstar Nottingham are neutral clean yeast along the lines of WLP001, US-05 is one of my fav yeast period and can throw some fruity esters at a higher temp or lower its very clean.

Do you do any sort of cell count estimation when you make your starter up from one of the four jars?

The maths involved in doing the estimations is likely to blow my head up :electric:
According to BYO.com magazine overpitching isn't really a problem for homebrewers, so as long as a don't under-pitch, I guess I'll be ok

Do you do any sort of cell count estimation when you make your starter up from one of the four jars?

The maths involved in doing the estimations is likely to blow my head up :electric:
According to BYO.com magazine overpitching isn't really a problem for homebrewers, so as long as a don't under-pitch, I guess I'll be ok

308 b cells /4 = 77b per jar

Normal beers I will single step if I am making anything over 1.055 I will 2 step the starter from the jar.

What I do to save money on yeast is get a fresh vial of liquid yeast from White Labs and make a big 2000ml starter at 1.040 on a stir plate. Chill overnight then decant off 1000ml spent beer, shake it up and add to 4 jars and throw into the fridge.

How long do you keep them in the fridge? Or do you brew so much it doesn't matter:)

We brew a ton but have a ton of yeast I'm our bank. If it'd been sitting for 3 months or so I will top off the jar and let it sit out for the days to wake up the yeast. This tear we plan on selecting a house yeast and only keeping 2-3 strains on hand.

Latest posts

Back