Oatmeal Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Working on my next 2 recipes and wanted to finally make a good stout. My first was heavily hopped with citrusy hops which clashed, and my oatmeal coffee stout had my mash temp get away from leaving it sickly sweet.

This is the 5.5 gal partial mash/partial boil recipe I have so far:

4 lbs ultralight LME (FO)
2 lbs 2-row
1 1/4 lb oatmeal
3/4 lb crystal 90
1/2 lb black roasted
1/2 lb chocolate
1/2 lb carafoam
1/4 lb black patent
1/4 lb soft white wheat berries
1 oz Warrior @ 70 mins
US-05

1.053/1.011
5.6% ABV
50 IBU's
38 SRM

How much rice hull would you need for this? maybe 3/4 lb?

I reduced the crystal 90 to 1/2 lb, and the oatmeal to 1 1/4 lbs, and dropped the carafoam, but added 1 lb of flaked barley. I also dropped the Warrior hops for 2 oz of Mt Hood @ 70 mins for just 40 IBU's. Now the ABV is 5.8%.

This recipe came from the booklet ,Old British Beers and How to make them.By Dr John Harrison and the members of the Durden Park Beer Club.

Maclay's 63/- oatmeal stout (1909) og 46 for 1 gallon.
1 1/4 lb pale
2oz amber
4oz black
3/4 lb breakfast oats
1 oz golding
mix oats with 2 pints of boiling water stand for 10 minutes before mixing with grain.mature 3 months.:whistle:

Have you sampled the samuel Adams gingerbread stout yet?.Very nice!!:drunk:

PICT5734.jpg

I've seen something about hydrating oats beforehand. I'm unsure why though.

And what is that about maturing it for 3 months??? That seems horrible.

I have not tried that beer. It's obviously well worth it?

"And what is that about maturing it for 3 months??? That seems horrible."

Not sure how I misunderstood this. I took it as allowing the hydrated oats to sit... Sorry.

I've revised my recipe to this (5.5 gal):
4 lbs ultralight LME (FO)
2.25 lbs 2-row
1.75 lbs rolled oats
1 lb flaked barley
0.5 lb roasted barley
0.5 lb crystal 90
0.5 lb Briess chocolate 350
0.25 lb black patent
0.75 lb light DME
1 oz Warrior (16%) @ 70 mins
0.5 oz Willamette (5.2%) @ 21/7 mins
US-05

1.062/1.012
6.5% ABV
53 IBU's
38 SRM

I had milled the oats and flaked barley with my new mill set at 0.029" (width of iTunes card), which is a bit too small for my conditioned grains I found out. I read a bit more on toasting oats and decided to try it, though these 2 have been mixed and milled. I set the oven to 300* and set in pans ~1/4" thick for 10 mins, pulled and stirred around followed by another 10 mins and stirred. I set it back in and found it was ill-advised to do this with milled grains as it may burn easier so I pulled them out after 22-23 mins of mild toasting. It smelled a bit like baking oatmeal cookies. I then placed them in the freezer (and forgot them over night) which is supposed to cease the ability to further cook. They are in 2 small paper bags to offgas. Brew day is Thursday with a friend coming over.

I didn't really want this to be over 6% ABV, but needed to reduce the IBU's a little. I don't like opening a package of hops and storing them longer than a month.

I've also read that cooking oatmeal, unless steel-cut, isn't necessary.

Back