Biab

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunglebrewsbeer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Evening. Quite new to this having only made a few kits but loving the results!! I am now thinking about trying BIAB style in the new year given the space needed for a full mash I think the Mrs head may pop. I was wondering that in order to utilise my 25L FV what would be the best pan size to go for to do the BIAB?

Just looked into exactly the same thing. This forum has a page on it but it's archived - just Google 'the homebrew forum brew in a bag'.

Well in a perfect world you would want to go with a 32L + and look to use a paint strainer bag or a custom one like these. I was BIAB and still go back when I want to brew at home in my apartment.

I'm a maxi- BIABer. I use a 20L pot to make a concentrated wort then dilute in the FV up to 23L. If you decide to go this route be aware that you get a lower hop utilization doing this so you have to add more hops accordingly

So could I boil at 33L or is there a recommended figure to start at?

I LOVE BIAB, I should document my BIAB process...

That should work just fine, if you are directly heating take a metal colander and place at the bottom or a vegetable steamer to not melt or burn the bottom. I would then pull the grain bag and let most drain back into the pot and fish out the colander out of the bottom and put in a bucket then move the grain bag to the bucket and finish draining. Rather then top off the water I would pour hot water out of a kettle over a piece of foil with tiny holes poked in it onto the grains and "fly sparge". Then just top off the pot and get boiling!

Please do document. Surely though if I hear the water up with a level of 33L. When I added grain would it not then do to volume cause the water to pour over top?

I normally go with about 25 litres of water which i bring to strike temperature, about 68c. I then add my grain bill, usually around 5kilo's or various malts. Leave to mash for an hour. I put a colander on top of a seperate clean bucket and lift the grain bag onto this and let the extra liquid drop out into the seperate bucket. Whilst this is happening i turn the temperature up and get the water left in the boil pot up to temperature to save a few minutes. I get around 3 litres of water at 70c or so and pour this gently onto the grain back through tin foil with holes in to sparge. I then put all the sugary wort from the bucket into the boilpot with the rest and bring it to the boil and crack on with the hop additions. After an hour boil im usually left with around 19/20 litres ready to ferment at about 1050 O.G.

Dont think my efficiency is that great but its quite a stress free method so i dont mind having use slightly more grains.

I like to to do a dunk sparge. I fill a bucket with about 7L of heated water (to 68C) Then just put the grain bag in and then lift it so it drains back into the bucket. I do that a few times , open the bag, give it a stir then repeat te whole process couple of times till I reckon most of the sugars have rinsed off the grain

Yes. I have found that three large towels and a blanket insulates my 20L pot well. I only seem to lose about 1C. I only mash for 30mins though, but I think my method would still be good for 60min

I normally go with about 25 litres of water which i bring to strike temperature, about 68c. I then add my grain bill, usually around 5kilo's or various malts. Leave to mash for an hour. I put a colander on top of a seperate clean bucket and lift the grain bag onto this and let the extra liquid drop out into the seperate bucket. Whilst this is happening i turn the temperature up and get the water left in the boil pot up to temperature to save a few minutes. I get around 3 litres of water at 70c or so and pour this gently onto the grain back through tin foil with holes in to sparge. I then put all the sugary wort from the bucket into the boilpot with the rest and bring it to the boil and crack on with the hop additions. After an hour boil im usually left with around 19/20 litres ready to ferment at about 1050 O.G.

Dont think my efficiency is that great but its quite a stress free method so i dont mind having use slightly more grains.

This is basically what I do and was getting great efficiency do you mix your mash? I find a thin mash with stirring every 15min works wonders

Hi everyone - I'm a kit brewer and have been following this thread with great interest. I've been completely obsessed with home brewing since I started 8 brews ago, so going all grain feels like a natural progression. My worry has always been the time it takes due to my hectic lifestyle but BIAB sounds like it's potentially feasible.

Is it quicker than brewing with a mash tun and if yes how long does it take including clean-up?

Also a new brewer kits only at present. But with it being the season for gifts I'm now finding myself intrigued by grain/BIAB method and going from scratch to pint. So a big pan will hopefully arrive down the chimney soon!!

Takes me about 6 hours to do a full length 23L maxi-biab including clean up. I tend to clean up as I go along as there's losts of time waiting for stuff to happen (waiting for mash water to heat up, mash time, waiting for wort to boil. boil, etc)

4 hours if I do 5L

Back