New Hoppy Youngs kits.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im thinking of brewing up the APA, and was wondering if anyone could advise how long this kit would take to be at its best for drinking?

I have brewed one can kits up until now and am interested to know if there is a difference in terms of how long the two can kits take to ferment out and get to their best in the bottle?

thanks!

I was at the Youngs APA after about 4 weeks in bottles (2 warm, 2 cool) and it was awesome! There was a slight improvement as time went on, but not as marked an improvement as some kits, such as Wherry or St Peters Ruby. One thing I would say is that the yeast took a little longer to compact. Maybe crash cool whilst in FV, or move to a secondary FV - there is a lot of yeast supplied with those kits!!!

I have two bottles left after 3 months - do you want me to try one right now, despite being a 'school night'? :whistle:

I was at the Youngs APA after about 4 weeks in bottles (2 warm, 2 cool) and it was awesome! There was a slight improvement as time went on, but not as marked an improvement as some kits, such as Wherry or St Peters Ruby.

I have two bottles left after 3 months - do you want me to try one right now, despite being a 'school night'? :whistle:

No,because I'm drinking a diet coke !!:(
Seriously, these kits are bang on the money,in fact,all my workmates are getting a bit sick of me going on about the new "craft" style home brew kits.
AAA just beats the APA for me though.IPA to follow soon.
Cheers

Noob here!

I've got the APA in a primary FV & it will have been in there for 2 weeks tomorrow. I've not taken a gravity reading yet (& I'm not using an airlock), but I'm wondering if I should wait for the, still thick, layer of krausen to subside before I add the dry hops?

Noob here!

I've got the APA in a primary FV & it will have been in there for 2 weeks tomorrow. I've not taken a gravity reading yet (& I'm not using an airlock), but I'm wondering if I should wait for the, still thick, layer of krausen to subside before I add the dry hops?

I would add the dry hops after the krausen dies down.
Not sure why the ferment is slightly slow, unless you are seeing stuff on the side of the FV, rather than bubbles inside.

I would add the dry hops after the krausen dies down.
Not sure why the ferment is slightly slow, unless you are seeing stuff on the side of the FV, rather than bubbles inside.

Both; had a quick sneaky peek inside - still a good layer of foam/bubbles. Instructions do indicate a 15 day primary so it could all die down the next couple of days?

Both; had a quick sneaky peek inside - still a good layer of foam/bubbles. Instructions do indicate a 15 day primary so it could all die down the next couple of days?

Yes, if there are bubbles, just leave it and add the dry hops after the bubbles.

This one arrived in the post earlier this week, and will be started next weekend. I had a Saison from the recent Morley Homebrew bottle swap so that was the decider! Had a couple at York Beer Festival yesterday, one from Bad Seed (really good) and another from XT (only 4.5% so lacking slightly!). Really looking forward to trying this :)

This looks really interesting - any chance you could post up an outline of the contents, please?

Am definitely thinking of getting some some suitable yeast - WPL 550 perhaps, and using the cheap 2 can kits from Wilko as a base to do an approximation of this sort of style.

This looks really interesting - any chance you could post up an outline of the contents, please?

Am definitely thinking of getting some some suitable yeast - WPL 550 perhaps, and using the cheap 2 can kits from Wilko as a base to do an approximation of this sort of style.

550 isn't really a saison yeast but it's very nice and not a million miles off but not quite as dry and peppery as a saison yeast. Wyeast 3711 (French Saison) is very good fas it attenuates well without much hassle. I've heard Danstar Belle Saison is good too and it's a bit cheaper.

If you're going to add that to a kit then I'd say you want something that's mainly pilsner based.

550 isn't really a saison yeast but it's very nice and not a million miles off but not quite as dry and peppery as a saison yeast. Wyeast 3711 (French Saison) is very good fas it attenuates well without much hassle. I've heard Danstar Belle Saison is good too and it's a bit cheaper.

If you're going to add that to a kit then I'd say you want something that's mainly pilsner based.

Thanks for this advice. I certainly had good results doubling up the Wilko Pilsner kits, so it's on the To Do list :hat:

Pics attached if I've done it right. Two bags of extract (4Kg total), brewing sugar, 100g hop pellets, 20g yeast, a small bag of priming sugar and a nicely printed set of instructions. The yeast and hop pellets aren't named.

15147050839_da65902966_z.jpg

15147293977_fe27ecee00_z.jpg

Yes, if there are bubbles, just leave it and add the dry hops after the bubbles.

The krausen cleared through the 15/16th day. Been stuck at about 1012/14 the past couple of days; will check again in a couple more to see if it's reached the 1010 it recommends to add the hops at....

Thanks for this - looks like 500g brewing sugar and 4kg LME.

20g Dry hops - i.e. for dry hopping?

P.S. Got a Dasher & Flasher ready to go for Christmas as soon as this is bottled!

I really ought to try that one, as I've done Donner & Blitzed a couple of times now, and have another one ready to start in a week or so.

Back