Mix and Match

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smileyr8

Impressive Member
Reaction score
I am a big fan of Stout and IPA's and think something along those lines (or a mix and match somewhere between) is where my perfect beer would be, I prefer to have a good strength beer to several lesser beers.

Anyway this is my thought I am thinking a John Bull I.P.A 1.8kg + either a Wilko's Dark Velvet Stout 1.5KG or Coopers Original Series Beer Kit Stout 1.7kg and maybe either dark muscavado or dextose to make up any shortfall and achieve apx 6% abv.

Any thoughts or people thinking along the same lines would be appreciated.

Recently barrelled my coopers stout, comes up as 7% abv.

Brewed with 500g dark DME and 500g dark soft brown sugar and brewed short to 20l.

OG 1056, FG 1006 and sample from trial jar was lovely if a tad green :)

I am a big fan of Stout and IPA's and think something along those lines (or a mix and match somewhere between) is where my perfect beer would be, I prefer to have a good strength beer to several lesser beers.

Anyway this is my thought I am thinking a John Bull I.P.A 1.8kg + either a Wilko's Dark Velvet Stout 1.5KG or Coopers Original Series Beer Kit Stout 1.7kg and maybe either dark muscavado or dextose to make up any shortfall and achieve apx 6% abv.

Any thoughts or people thinking along the same lines would be appreciated.

My guess is you would be pleased with the results - I recently doubled up a Wilko DV Stout and it is great, so I'd go for that if you have a Wilko nearby. I brew to 25L and would add dark sugar myself.

Of course, the Coopers kit with the IPA will be fine too.

If you were unsure about the optimum "mix", doing the IPA first and short, then the Stout, also a bit short, puts you in a good position to do some taste testing of different proportions. If you know what you are aiming for, then there is brewing software available to help concoct something similar to do as a single brew. If you like it half and half, it's pretty easy. :thumb:

If you know what you are aiming for, then there is brewing software available to help concoct something similar to do as a single brew. If you like it half and half, it's pretty easy. :thumb:

What brewing software do you use and is it free?

I was thinking of doing both tins and any additional fermentables required to get around 6% in a single FV and to 20l, pitching the yeast from each tin a day apart in the hope that it does not go mental (just had a stout volcano and it makes a proper mess + lost probably 2 to 3 pints).

The John Bull IPA was £9 at Tesco Direct (now £12.50 boo hoo) you can get delivered to store for free.

Last edited:
Right have done a bit of mix and matching & Cerberus Imperial Stout is the latest incarnation. It's still in the fv so can't comment beyond that, apart from it went off like a bomb (split between two 25ltr fv's (have had a stout volcano previously, and its messy), it's been combined back into a single fv now its calmed down a little, I have big hopes for this one.

Right have done a bit of mix and matching & Cerberus Imperial Stout is the latest incarnation. It's still in the fv so can't comment beyond that, apart from it went off like a bomb (split between two 25ltr fv's (have had a stout volcano previously, and its messy), it's been combined back into a single fv now its calmed down a little, I have big hopes for this one.

Immense brew - check out the link - no Queen's Speach this time round, just Smileys Imperial Stout update.

:hat:

Latest posts

Back