Best Beer Kits you have brewed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had you asked me 12 months ago I would have said I was a lager drinker only. However now, I can't remember the last time I bought a bottle of lager (other than Pilsner Urquell), all I buy these days is IPAs, and I find I'm only thinking about brewing them as well.

Anyway the Youngs AIPA is outstanding, and my LHBS (Glen Brew on Dumbarton Road, Glasgow) sells them for �£22.99 which is, in my opinion at least, an absolute bargain.

I'm glad it not just me. Been a lager drinker for 35 years but since taking up home brewing my taste is changing.
The best kit I have made was the Coopers Stout with liquorice, done twice now but I have also fallen for BrewDog IPA and will be getting an IPA on in the new years, probably Youngs AIPA

I'm glad it not just me. Been a lager drinker for 35 years but since taking up home brewing my taste is changing.
The best kit I have made was the Coopers Stout with liquorice, done twice now but I have also fallen for BrewDog IPA and will be getting an IPA on in the new years, probably Youngs AIPA

I can't recommend the Youngs AIPA highly enough, as you will see from me constantly badgering on about it here!

I see loads of really positive comments about the Coopers Stout and am really tempted to give it a go. Not a massive stout drinker, though I did have two pints of Guinness last night. I reckon it would take me a right good while to get through it but couple of my mates like the Guinness so I could donate some their way. I'm talking myself into it here!

I can't recommend the Youngs AIPA highly enough, as you will see from me constantly badgering on about it here!

I see loads of really positive comments about the Coopers Stout and am really tempted to give it a go. Not a massive stout drinker, though I did have two pints of Guinness last night. I reckon it would take me a right good while to get through it but couple of my mates like the Guinness so I could donate some their way. I'm talking myself into it here!

I promise to follow your advise re the Y AIPA and hope you will take the plunge re the Coopers Stout. It is a very nice pint and if like me you don't go for the strong stuff it is a good session beer :drink:. Ive done another stout (my 3rd) which should be perfect for xmas but this one was with coffee. This one was a Brewmaker Shamrock Velvet Stout (Lakeland) and tastes very promising.

I promise to follow your advise re the Y AIPA and hope you will take the plunge re the Coopers Stout. It is a very nice pint and if like me you don't go for the strong stuff it is a good session beer :drink:. Ive done another stout (my 3rd) which should be perfect for xmas but this one was with coffee. This one was a Brewmaker Shamrock Velvet Stout (Lakeland) and tastes very promising.

Decision made I will give the Stout a go. Any advice on fermentibles or additions? Coopers suggest 1kg of BE1. Brew short?

Might just go with the BE1 as a first go, see how the kits is as intended then look at additions if I do it again. I'm right in thinking this one goes a bit mad, blow off tube required??

Only tried cheap kits as i'm a tightwad:smile:
1..wilko golden ale 2 can
2..john bull Ipa
3..Simply pale ale
4..wilko cerveza
5..Coopers English bitter.

Decision made I will give the Stout a go. Any advice on fermentibles or additions? Coopers suggest 1kg of BE1. Brew short?

Might just go with the BE1 as a first go, see how the kits is as intended then look at additions if I do it again. I'm right in thinking this one goes a bit mad, blow off tube required??

Sorry Wheazy, been a tad busy.
I have added muscavado sugar each time (250g) and either strong coffee or liquorice and would recommend them all. However I have never brewed it as intended so its difficult to know how much better/worse it might be.

I defo needed a blow-off tube so get that ready.

Good luck.:thumb:

I've had the Black Rock Riwaka Pale Ale in bottles for about 5 weeks now and it's got seriously good. Not got the punch of the Youngs AIPA or the Evil Dog (though that was pretty awful IMHO) but flavour and body-wise it's better than a lot of mid-range commercial ales.

I've also got the St Peter's cream stout at the same age and that's coming good as well, though sadly it's nothing like the commercial version.

How long did you leave the Black Rock before you tasted it? I've just bottled some and it has a bit of a "metallic" youngish flavour at present. Hoping it will improve

How long did you leave the Black Rock before you tasted it? I've just bottled some and it has a bit of a "metallic" youngish flavour at present. Hoping it will improve

It's probably been in for about 5-6 weeks at the moment. WHat I've noticed though is that at "cellar" temperature the sediment doesn't stick to the bottom of the bottle at all and is impossible to pour without it all ending up in the glass. Not such a problem if it's chilled though...

1) Muntons Midas touch golden ale
2) Evil Dog double IPA
3) Muntons Smugglers Ale
4) St Peters Golden Ale
5) Woodfordes Sundew

As you can tell, i prefer the lighter coloured beer!:thumb:

As mentioned above, Muntons Santa's Winter Warmer is a seasonal favourite in this house ! For an IPA that'll blow yer socks off, give Razorback IPA from Festival a go. It's loaded with hops and fruit and packs a real punch, summer or winter !!

Looking forward to brewing these

DSC_0540.jpg

I've just cooked my 3rd batch (sorry, been watching breaking bad)
1st Caxtons real ale - in the drinking stage- quite nice but nothing to measure against in homebrew speak.
2nd batch, Coopers IPA with dry hop addition of centinial - in conditioning at present.
3rd batch Woodford's Wherry, just put on today - so no idea , but will probably dry hop with Target.

In no particular order from the ones Iv brewed and tasted so far, my favourites have to be

• Coopers Irish Stout
• Festival Golden Stag
• Coopers Australian Pale Ale (great to mess about with)
• Youngs IPA
• Coopers Bitter

As you can tell you can't go far wrong with a coopers. Great to play around with or great for a cheap knock up beer [emoji481][emoji1303]

Really difficult but here goes:

Youngs American IPA - outstanding kit and despite it being a premium price (£22.99 from my LHBS) it is amazing value for money.

Coopers European Lager - make this to the kit instructions and it is fantastic. Add a bit of a saaz hop tea and it is an absolute belter. I brewed at about 16C and it turned out great so no need to worry too much about hitting the perfect 12C.

Coopers Canadian Blonde - a great base for experimenting with.

John Bull IPA - picked this up from Tesco sale and added 1kg of brew enhancer then dry hopped and it has turned out absolutely amazing.

Youngs Harvest Lager - Another kit on the cheaper end of things that worked out so much better than I ever expected. Dry hopped with a wee bit of tettenang (spelling?).

Latest posts

Back