New Hoppy Youngs kits.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably should have tried all three at once, but anyway, here's my assessment of the Pale Ale.

Supposedly based on Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, the Young's Pale ale is, in my opinion, nothing like it. It's better. The Sierra Nevada seems bland in comparison, with little aroma, while the Young's Pale Ale shoots citrus and pine up your nostrils. Taste wise, the Pale ale has a touch of sweetness, balanced by a lingering bitterness. Not as astringent and mouth-puckering as the IPA, but definitely pleasing. Flavour is very citrus, with floral notes. It's a more toned-down version of the IPA, as well as having a lower ABV.

In summary, all three are very good kits, particularly if you like very hop-forward, citrusy beers. Got to say that Young's have done a good job here and I actually prefer the kits to the commercial beers they are apparently based on.

Obviously everyone's taste buds are different, but if you like massively hoppped American-style beers or Festival Razorback, then these kits are worth a shot in your brew list.

Probably should have tried all three at once, but anyway, here's my assessment of the Pale Ale.

Supposedly based on Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, the Young's Pale ale is, in my opinion, nothing like it. It's better. The Sierra Nevada seems bland in comparison, with little aroma, while the Young's Pale Ale shoots citrus and pine up your nostrils. Taste wise, the Pale ale has a touch of sweetness, balanced by a lingering bitterness. Not as astringent and mouth-puckering as the IPA, but definitely pleasing. Flavour is very citrus, with floral notes. It's a more toned-down version of the IPA, as well as having a lower ABV.

In summary, all three are very good kits, particularly if you like very hop-forward, citrusy beers. Got to say that Young's have done a good job here and I actually prefer the kits to the commercial beers they are apparently based on.

Obviously everyone's taste buds are different, but if you like massively hoppped American-style beers or Festival Razorback, then these kits are worth a shot in your brew list.

Are these sample bottles or did you brew these?

If so how long did you condition them?

Are these sample bottles or did you brew these?

If so how long did you condition them?

Young's sent me samples, I only received stock last week, so haven't had a chance to brew them yet, although they are most definitely on my to-do list. The Pale Ale is probably going to be of widest appeal, I think.

I don't know how long the bottles had conditioned, but after I allowed the samples to clear for 4 days in my brew fridge, at 13C, they poured very clear, initially. Lots of sediment and not very compact, but this could be because they were disturbed during transit.

These will probably be beers you can drink fairly early, say 5-6 weeks after bottling, allowing 1-2 weeks for carbonation. The hop aroma will fade over time, so if you find the aroma too over-powering, leave them for another month and this will recede.

I have had the youngs IPA in the fermenter for 5 days now. It was fermenting gently until today...holy ****!! Blow out twice since breakfast and the airlocks going like a machine gun!
Warning to anyone who thinks that after a couple days you have stuck fermentation, give it a few days and it will be very lively. Can't wait to try this beer!
Cheers.

Having spent 30 days fannying around in the fermenter, I finally kegged my APA two days ago. I use a fermentation fridge and set it to 18.5c. After 2 weeks the SG was 1.018 and I needed to make way for my next brew, so took this one out. The temperature outside my fridge was probably around 16c which might explain why it took so long to get to a point where fermentation stopped.

Anyhow, I skimmed off all the floaty bits and put the little strainer bag on the end of the syphon tube and set off. It was still fairly murky looking.

A short while ago I thought I'd give it a try (one of the kegs I added isinglass finings to), and it is now virtually crystal clear, and has an wonderful hoppy aroma and taste.

This beer is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!

im thinking of brewing up the APA, and was wondering if anyone could advise how long this kit would take to be at its best for drinking?

I have brewed one can kits up until now and am interested to know if there is a difference in terms of how long the two can kits take to ferment out and get to their best in the bottle?

thanks!

I have brewed the IPA which is pretty good and have the APA waiting for brewing but it may be sometime before this goes to FV as this hot weather is no good for my brewing. It has cooled down this week but waiting to see what happens in coming week.

Done the ipa been kegged for two months every once in while I get a sample ,its just cleared .I will do this kit again .and will try the other two.

Guzzled the Amber Ale,very,very,very good.
Drinking the Pale Ale , just very good !
Still have the IPA to brew,very,very,very excited.
These kits are every bit as good as the Festival kits imo.

my APA has been in the barrel since may. it is the best kit i've brewed so far (& i've brewed quite a lot of kits). i think its more for drinking chilled on a hot summer day so my next batch will be bottled so i can pop them in the fridge.
i've just bought a 60l FV so i'll brew two together, i'll start them next week & they should be good for next summer... THIS REALLY IS AN EXCELLENT BREW!

my APA has been in the barrel since may. it is the best kit i've brewed so far (& i've brewed quite a lot of kits). i think its more for drinking chilled on a hot summer day so my next batch will be bottled so i can pop them in the fridge.
i've just bought a 60l FV so i'll brew two together, i'll start them next week & they should be good for next summer... THIS REALLY IS AN EXCELLENT BREW!

60l :thumb: that's a FV ! See your drinking a Wherry at the moment
I've got a Wherry sitting still boxed,never done one,would you add any hops to it or is it a nice pint on its own ?

I got the American Amber Ale yesterday from my LHBS and they said its like Sharps DOOM BAR??????? im going to start it off tonight

as per normal any tips much appreciated

:hat:

I got the American Amber Ale yesterday from my LHBS and they said its like Sharps DOOM BAR??????? im going to start it off tonight

as per normal any tips much appreciated

This is my favourite kit to date,that includes Festival and St Peters.
It is as good as any "craft" lager I've ever bought,even the Brewdog and Williams Bros beers (and they are £2 per bottle min !!)
I brewed it exactly as per instructions for once and can't fault it.
Only thing I did which wasn't recommended was I started drinking it after 10 days :hat:
Get that brew on :drink:

This is my favourite kit to date,that includes Festival and St Peters.
It is as good as any "craft" lager I've ever bought,even the Brewdog and Williams Bros beers (and they are £2 per bottle min !!)
I brewed it exactly as per instructions for once and can't fault it.
Only thing I did which wasn't recommended was I started drinking it after 10 days :hat:
Get that brew on :drink:

My American Amber has been in the keg for 3 weeks now and it just won't clear! Still has quite a sharp hoppy taste too. Think I syphoned up a bit too much of the yeasty/hoppy grub and should have used a filter over the syphon.

Hopefully it will be OK in a couple of weeks.

My American Amber has been in the keg for 3 weeks now and it just won't clear! Still has quite a sharp hoppy taste too. Think I syphoned up a bit too much of the yeasty/hoppy grub and should have used a filter over the syphon.

Hopefully it will be OK in a couple of weeks.

My American ipa took two months to clear . Its now crystal clear with only 20 pints left . So I'm looking at apa now . :)

My American ipa took two months to clear . Its now crystal clear with only 20 pints left . So I'm looking at apa now . :)

I plan on doing AAA this weekend, but then ill be away with work for three weeks, having never done AAA before would it be ok to leave it in the FV for such along time????

thank you

Back