New Hoppy Youngs kits.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh - the 6.3% is quite noticeable, but not until the pint has been finished. I wonder if I need another QC check to be sure...

I've recently purchased the Youngs American IPA Kit, left it to ferment over the last two weeks. The hydrometer is reading 1012 so I'm going to leave it a few more days and read it again, add the hops (in a muslin bag) and in a further 3-4 days bottle. My question is, as I only have one bucket, I will be bottling from a tap from the fermentation bucket. Will this transfer a lot of sediment to the bottles? Are there any ways of combating this?

Thanks in advance.

Another week on and another QC check of the New World Saison. I'm slightly disappointed that it doesn't taste like the Saisons I've had before**, but very pleased to have found a kit beer I can't really fault. It isn't as drinkable as Festival Razorback (the only other really hoppy kit I've done so far) but it is probably more enjoyable and a lot more taste and presence. Assuming it continues to improve (only a month since bottling) it will easily be my favourite kit, as well as one of the best beers I've had. I like hoppy ales and I also like the lambic style beers, and this is a very good combination of the two...

...shame the glass is now empty :(

I'm planning on moving to BIAB soon (having just been to a demo) but I think I'll want to keep doing this kit until I can brew something better myself.

**Admittedly not many, and one wasn't that impressive

Okay, so my IPA has finally finished fermentation with a FG of, get this, 1.002. The SG was 1.054, and I have checked the hydrometer and its reading exactly 1.000 in water. Just took a sample and it tastes good, but it really dries out the mouth and throat :\ is there anything I can do to help this before bottling? Just hoping its not ruined!

I've brewed APA and NWS, now doing IPA. APA I brewed at 23 degrees and took a lot longer to brew down to add the hops than advised. Adding the hops seem to excite fermentation again and it took well over a week to brew out. What I did then was take the beer off the heat and let it cool to room temperature to allow all the hops to drop to the bottom (I think some people have referred to this as "crash cooling"and clear through). When bottling with syphon no issue with hops, they were all with the yeast at the bottom.
With NWS did the same but brewed at the higher temperature of 26 degrees and again cooled to allow hops to drop.
Kits seem keen to suggest no issue in brewing out completely before hopping. With my IPA I have brewed at 23 degrees out to almost complete inactivity, not adding hops, and then taken to a secondary FV until completely stopped. I have found this transfer to secondary seems to excite it enough to finish off what seems to be a very long almost stuck final stages of fermentation for a lot of people. I have now added the hops 2 days ago and they are dropping through nicely. I will take it of the heat in a day or 2 and allow to drop and clear as before.
I have found with past experience with the festival kits that allowing beer to cool allows the hops to drop as with Youngs kits and even with these I did not use the supplied cloth to stop the hops from coming up, they were nicely packed on the bottom.

I've recently purchased the Youngs American IPA Kit, left it to ferment over the last two weeks. The hydrometer is reading 1012 so I'm going to leave it a few more days and read it again, add the hops (in a muslin bag) and in a further 3-4 days bottle. My question is, as I only have one bucket, I will be bottling from a tap from the fermentation bucket. Will this transfer a lot of sediment to the bottles? Are there any ways of combating this?

Thanks in advance.

I have the same question as this chap about the bucket. This is my first kit so very unsure.

The kit doesn't really mention the bottling process.

Also should I put hops in muslin bag?

The question about hop particles being carried over into bottles or PB often crops up. People either use a muslin or nylon mesh bag or they filter out the hop bits in some way as they siphon out or empty using the tap, it's down to personal choice.
I use a boiled and cooled muslin bag, its my preference, and it works for me.
Not sure what you are saying about the bucket. I siphon out of my FV. If your FV has a tap then you use that I suppose.

The question about hop particles being carried over into bottles or PB often crops up. People either use a muslin or nylon mesh bag or they filter out the hop bits in some way as they siphon out or empty using the tap, it's down to personal choice.
I use a boiled and cooled muslin bag, its my preference, and it works for me.
Ok cool, thanks!

Not sure what you are saying about the bucket. I siphon out of my FV. If your FV has a tap then you use that I suppose.
Yeah I was just wondering as some stuff I was reading said to use a syphon and "bottle filler" (to avoid splashing). Was thinking if I fill bottles from the tap there will be lots of splashing.

Latest posts

Back