1 can v 2 cans... No going back

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In case anyone's interested - I did finally bottle my Muntons Gold Old Conkerwood, put it in the airingcupboard for a week and took it out about 2 weeks ago. The result: well, it's a dark ale, as clear as you can tell, and the taste - kind of unpleasant actually. It's quite bitter, which is ok as I prefer hoppy beers, but there's an underlying unpleasant treacly bitterness as well. I'm hoping it might improve with age and it should get to spend a good long time in the bottle as the way it is now I'm hardly likely to be sloshing it down!

Muntons Gold Conkerwood still stuck at 1020
....Looking through the forum, stuck brews seem to be much more of a problem with 2 can kits than 1 can kits. Why?

One word...Muntons! Kits marketed as Muntons, or made by Muntons and re-badged (Wherry etc.) seem to come with inferior yeast, and are more prone to sticking. Muntons make a large number of the 2-can kits, hence your assumption that 2 can kits are prone to sticking. 1 can kits are made by a wider selection of people, I've never had a Coopers kit stick for example.

And yes, the solution with anything made by Muntons is to use yeast nutrient at the start of the brew, and give it the best chance by not letting the temp drop too low (below 18C). :thumb:

One word...Muntons! Kits marketed as Muntons, or made by Muntons and re-badged (Wherry etc.) seem to come with inferior yeast, and are more prone to sticking. Muntons make a large number of the 2-can kits, hence your assumption that 2 can kits are prone to sticking. 1 can kits are made by a wider selection of people, I've never had a Coopers kit stick for example.

And yes, the solution with anything made by Muntons is to use yeast nutrient at the start of the brew, and give it the best chance by not letting the temp drop too low (below 18C). :thumb:

Think it's time the home brewing community got together and hit Muntons with a few thousand emails about their yeast.
Poor show for a large company.

Think it's time the home brewing community got together and hit Muntons with a few thousand emails about their yeast.
Poor show for a large company.

+1

I've done 56 brews and the only ones I've ever had any trouble with are the ones made by Muntons. They must know about it, as you read on here from time to time of people who've complained to them and been sent free replacements. I'm sure we'd all be happy to pay a little bit extra for a decent yeast.

Ok,I may have been talking ****(not the first time I've done that)
My Coopers English Bitter is a belter!
Added 1kg of BE2 and (beer snobs look away) 40g of Nelson Sauvin,20g of Citra and 15g of hop pellets from an American IPA kit,shocking,I know but it tastes good to me,lovely head,creamy and tightly packed even if the body is slightly thin.
Decent effort if I say so myself :thumb:

Oh well, guess I won't be bottling it today - it's still at 1020 after 2 weeks in the FV. Never had this problem with a 1 can kit, ever. I've given it a stir and put it back in the airing cupboard...

I believe a lot of people have problems with the yeast in Muntons/Woodforde's kits

EDIT - Weiird, this thread only had one page when I replied, I'm positive. My point has already been made and cleared!

A thought on yeast, it doesn't last forever even in its original packaging.
I the kit doesn't have a long sell by/best before date i.e. it's and still warm from the canning them its worth considering buying a packet of FRESH yeast.

Atb. Aamcle

Back