When to bottle IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikelewis

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

New to the forum and Brewing, Looking for a bit of advice.
Currently making my second brew, my first brew was successful although not the nicest of drinks but we still finished it.

I am currently brewing an IPA, but the temperature was a little high for the first 2 days at 24c the temp has now dropped to 22c and the airlock only bubbles every 100seconds. How long should I wait until I bottle the beer, it’s been in the fermenter for 4 days in total.

How much sugar should I use when I’m bottling and should I stir the sugar in or shake it once bottled to mix? I’m using 1ltr bottles lemonade bottles.

Thanks in advanced for the help.

Hi Mike

Welcome to the Forum.

As it's your first brew and I guess you only have one fermenter, you should leave it for 2 weeks before bottling. Ignore the timings on any instuctions that came with the kit - they are optimistic by a factor of at least 2. So twice as long on every stage.

1 Litre glass bottles are great for brewing - they are what I used to use back in the 1980's when I first brewed, before family and stuff got in the way. :D As I recall they originally would contain Olde English cider.

One teaspoon of sugar - not too rounded - is enough to prime a 1L bottle.
No need to dissolve the priming sugar - it can't hide and it won't escape.

A swirl for luck never hurt, but the main things to remember are much earlier in the process.

Sanitize everything that comes in contact with the beer, be patient and try to ferment at constant temps as near to 20C as feasible.

Welcome.

From what I have learnt here, leave it to entertain itself for at least two weeks, before tinking about bottling it. I think mine was a bit warm at the start too, but it has turned out to be a great drop.

I gently stirred in a litre of boiled water that I had melted 150g of sugar, and let it rest for 30min before bottling. That was into the FV with 20litres of beer.

Hi Mike,

Have a look at my post (7th from top) on this thread, which outlines my views on timescales http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49393

Also, be aware that beer can suffer from "skunking" if it is stored in clear bottles and subjected to light, therefore, wherever possible, you should use coloured bottles to help prevent this. I'm guessing the lemonade bottles are clear...

FatCol

Thanks for the advice, and yes I am using clear bottles so I will keep a towel over them once bottled.

Im currently brewing in this http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-wide-neck-fermenter-25l/invt/0075885 should I brewing in a bucket?

For my next brew would it be worth buying a fermentation bin and then after 1 week drain it into my wide neck fermenter?

When moving it into a secondary fermentation vessel should I add any thing? why do you move it into a secondary, what is the advantage?

No need to rack it to a fermenting vessel. Fermenting for 2 weeks in the fermenting bin and leave the lid tightly closed. No idea why you rack to secondary. I never have.

Green Ninja...what is that green product in the glass? Is that artificial coloring?

I use one of those too Mike. Their not bad but a bin is nicer and prefer to use them but the wide neck one still gets use.

Latest posts

Back