Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Discussions > Red Elderberry

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:18 AM   #1
YeastLord

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Red Elderberry

I'd never seen these till we moved to Aberdeenshire but we have quite a few very striking trees round about in the hedgerows.

Has anyone here tried them for winemaking? I've read that the red variety is the most toxic elder but the fruit is edible - notably used historically by Native Americans. Looks the sort of tree that should be out at Christmas!

Drinking: Elderflower. Bowmore. Dewars 14.

"This is ridiculous. That's the most well-guarded yeast factory I've ever seen." Brutus - Gentlemen Broncos

Old 06-09-2017, 09:05 AM   #2
Tau

Liked 275 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Make sure that you've identified them correctly, preferably someone who has used them before for wine or eating, check that they aren't seeing fairies or have recently developed some cronic health condition lol Found this http://arcadianabe.blogspot.co.uk/20...eriment-1.html

Might help
3. 2x Sloe & raspberry wine 17.5.17
4. Sloe wine 4.9.17
5. strawberry wine 27.6.17 clearing
6. 2x Rhubarb wine 30.7.17
7. Blackberry Wine 4.9.17
8. Blackberry Wine 9.9.17
9. Sloe Wine 9.9.17
10.Crab Apple Wine 3.9.16 Bottled
11. Rose petal wine 25.6.17 bottled
12. 2 x young oak leaf white 29.4.17
13. 2x Sloe & Raspb' wine 21.5.17
14. Blueberry wine 10.7.17 bottled
YeastLord Likes This 
Old 06-09-2017, 12:36 PM   #3
tonyhibbett

Liked 107 Times on 100 Posts

This could be red elder (sambucus racemosa) as opposed to the common elder (sambucus nigra). I don't know if the fruit is edible. I'd be wary. I showed my grandson elderberries and he went in search of more, coming back with what looked like them. I asked him to show me the plant, which had similar red stems but was in fact hemlock! The berries are not poisonous but the stems are.
Small vineyard, currently 20 pinot noir, 4 rondo, 1 bacchus, 8 riesling, 2 dunkelfelder, 3 brandt, 3 regent, 2 flame, 3 strawberry grape, 1 phoenix, 3 vrogen van der laan, 1 chasselas dore, 4 chardonnay, 8 frankenthaler, 4 pinot blanc, 10 cabernet sauvignon, 2 Marechal Foch. 1 semillion, 4 madeleine angevine
YeastLord Likes This 
Old 06-09-2017, 02:02 PM   #4
YeastLord

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau View Post
Make sure that you've identified them correctly, preferably someone who has used them before for wine or eating, check that they aren't seeing fairies or have recently developed some cronic health condition lol Found this http://arcadianabe.blogspot.co.uk/20...eriment-1.html

Might help
Good advice and an interesting article thanks very much. I'm proceeding with caution.

"This is ridiculous. That's the most well-guarded yeast factory I've ever seen." Brutus - Gentlemen Broncos

Old 06-09-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
YeastLord

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyhibbett View Post
This could be red elder (sambucus racemosa) as opposed to the common elder (sambucus nigra). I don't know if the fruit is edible. I'd be wary. I showed my grandson elderberries and he went in search of more, coming back with what looked like them. I asked him to show me the plant, which had similar red stems but was in fact hemlock! The berries are not poisonous but the stems are.
Thanks for the reply. I will be wary. Can't find any reference yet to wine making with them apart from just generally in passing that elderberries may be made into 2ine.

Of course if they're not generally made into wine there could be a reason for that...

Old 07-09-2017, 11:40 AM   #6
tonyhibbett

If birds are eating them, they are ripe and probably safe for humans. Being red berries, rather than black, the wine would be pink rather than red.
Small vineyard, currently 20 pinot noir, 4 rondo, 1 bacchus, 8 riesling, 2 dunkelfelder, 3 brandt, 3 regent, 2 flame, 3 strawberry grape, 1 phoenix, 3 vrogen van der laan, 1 chasselas dore, 4 chardonnay, 8 frankenthaler, 4 pinot blanc, 10 cabernet sauvignon, 2 Marechal Foch. 1 semillion, 4 madeleine angevine
YeastLord Likes This 
Old 07-09-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
HLA91

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

When sorting elderberries I've picked I scrape teh berries off with my fingers and drop them into a bowl of sulphited water. If they float they're no good, if they sink then crack on. Works 95% of the time, a few un-ripe ones do sink occasionally.
‘Planning is an unnatural process; it is much more fun to do something. The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression.’
YeastLord Likes This 
Old 10-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #8
Tau

Liked 275 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyhibbett View Post
If birds are eating them, they are ripe and probably safe for humans. Being red berries, rather than black, the wine would be pink rather than red.
Saying about the birds eating them, I've been watching the blackbirds feat on pheasant berries in the garden and was wondering if they where edible as I have masses of them and they're all around the local area.

Found this http://fergustheforager.co.uk/recipe...n-honeysuckle/
So they can be eaten, to the touch they seem waxy and greasy so not sure they could be used for wine. Anyone got any experience with pheasant berries?
3. 2x Sloe & raspberry wine 17.5.17
4. Sloe wine 4.9.17
5. strawberry wine 27.6.17 clearing
6. 2x Rhubarb wine 30.7.17
7. Blackberry Wine 4.9.17
8. Blackberry Wine 9.9.17
9. Sloe Wine 9.9.17
10.Crab Apple Wine 3.9.16 Bottled
11. Rose petal wine 25.6.17 bottled
12. 2 x young oak leaf white 29.4.17
13. 2x Sloe & Raspb' wine 21.5.17
14. Blueberry wine 10.7.17 bottled

Old 13-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #9
tonyhibbett

Never encountered them, even in the Himalayas. Birds will eat all kinds of berries which, although not poisonous, may not make a good wine. You would probably need at least a kilo of them.