Hobgoblin recipe please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granny

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone recommend a malt extract recipe for the Hobgoblin? I am a beginner with malt extract so please give me plain English with no tech' jargon! 😂 And hopefully a recipe I can follow as a beginner. Thank you in advance.

i have this but never brewed it

Brew Type: Extract
Style: English Old Ale
Batch Size: 22.73 L Boil Volume: 11.04 L
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Steep Specialty Grains
204g Cara-Pila/Dextrine Grain
180g Caramel/Crystal Malt 60l
108g Chocolate Malt
-- add water to achieve boil volume of 11.04L
Start Boil
4.18Kg Pale LME
30g Styrian Goldings 60min (first wort hop)
30g Fuggles 60min (first wort hop)
30g Styrian Goldings at 30 minutes
30g Fuggles at 30 minutes
1 tsp Irish Moss at 55 minutes
15g Styrian Goldings at 60 minutes (Aroma Hop-Steep)
15g Fuggles at 60 minutes (Aroma Hop-Steep)
--cool to fermentation temp
--add water as needed to achieve 22.73L
--Syphon to primary and aerate
Add ingredients to fermenter
1 package of Nottingham yeast - ale (I Used WYEAST 1332 - Northwest and made a starter instead)
OG - 1.052 (yay!)
Batch Vol. 22.73L

Hi, can anyone recommend a malt extract recipe for the Hobgoblin? I am a beginner with malt extract so please give me plain English with no tech' jargon! 😂 And hopefully a recipe I can follow as a beginner. Thank you in advance.
Sorry, that video link I gave doesn't give a guide for extract brewing (they sometimes do ... when not belching down the microphone). The interview with the brewer is at 13 minutes to 45mins (start at 20 minute just to jump to the meat).

So, I've done a quick translation, for a 23 litre (5 gallon) brew:

3.3Kg Pale Liquid Extract
320g Crystal Malt (steep) 150EBC*
90g Chocolate Malt (steep)

Steep malts as per normal advise for extract brewers (don't ask me - I mash). * Crystal Malt at 150EBC (colour) is something I see a lot but haven't a clue where to get it. I think Crisp do a 150 EBC, I'd use Warminster which is 135 EBC. The Americans like using the "Lovibond" scale which is one of the kooky translation I warned about. About 75L corresponds to 150 EBC, but don't go looking for 75L (or any other "L") 'cos we don't do it like that in the UK. A medium, ordinary, crystal should be right.

Boil: The "other" recipe posted here is a typical "American" translation, where they translate the hop bill to be more in line with their "craft brewing" techniques and so go way over-board for a UK beer. So what I suggest is:

19g Goldings
19g Fuggles

For 1 hour boil. Don't worry about the "first wort" mention, just chuck the lot in. Although apparently Wychwood do throw the hops in before it gets to boil, at about 80C, which is what "first wort" is all about.

Wychwood also use an undisclosed but significant quantity of "whirlpool" hops. Just chuck the following hops in at the end of boil (even allowing it to cool to 80-85C before chucking them in) and leave them undisturbed for 20-25 minutes:

24g Styrian Goldings
6g Cascade (American hop)

Ferment with a decent British ale yeast like "Nottingham" or "S-04".

6g Cascade (American hop)

I've seen a few recipes for Hobgoblin over the years mention Cascade - why? Wychwood quote only Fuggles & Styrian Goldings on their website, and Hobgoblin's been around for a long time, way before putting US hops into beer became popular.
https://www.wychwood.co.uk/beers/

Although I'm sure others are doing it too: St Austell Tribute tasted much zingier the last few times I've tried it so reckon there's some US hops going into their brews now.

Anyway, back to the recipe. One of the more popular recipes is Orfy's, quite a few brewers have done this over the years. http://orfybeer.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/orfys-hob-goblin-ii.html

The problem with Extract is that recipes really need to be whole numbers for the malt (i.e. 1.5kg or 1kg rather than 1.33) because liquid malt usually comes in 1.5kg tins and is gloopy to pour/measure; dried malt comes in 1kg or 500g bags and clumps up if you use part of a bag. The other problem with Hobgoblin is that there's 2 versions: 4.5% keg and 5.2% bottle, so which do you brew? I had a go at plugging some of the recipes into Brewmate and came up with the following. By brewing to 17L you can use whole bags of DME/spraymalt and the strength comes out somewhere in the middle around 4.7%.

Grain Bill
----------------
2.000 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light (86.03%)
0.236 kg Crystal 60 standard (10.15%) - steep for 30mins @ <80C
0.089 kg Chocolate (3.82%) - steep for 30mins @ <80C

Hop Bill
----------------
11 g Styrian Golding Leaf (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
11 g Fuggles Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
10 g Fuggles Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
10 g Styrian Golding Leaf (4.4% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
11 g Fuggles Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
11 g Styrian Golding Leaf (4.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

This one's on my to-do list for the autumn,

I've seen a few recipes for Hobgoblin over the years mention Cascade - why?

Wychwood quote only Fuggles & Styrian Goldings on their website, and Hobgoblin's been around for a long time, way before putting US hops into beer became popular.
https://www.wychwood.co.uk/beers/

Although I'm sure others are doing it too: St Austell Tribute tasted much zingier the last few times I've tried it so reckon there's some US hops going into their brews now.
I think about the 1990's is when Cascades became popular in UK beer. You could taste them in numerous beers (no "craft brewing" malarkey back then, no Citra, no Amarillo, no Simcoe, no Brewdog ...). It was far worse in the States as just about every beer tasted of Cascade (I was there). The flavour was a pleasant novelty, but not one that you didn't tire of.

The reason I put them in that recipe is because the brewer at Wychwood said he did (from that linked "interview").

The reason I put them in that recipe is because the brewer at Wychwood said he did (from that linked "interview").

Cheers, I didn't have the attention span to sit through it :)

Know what you mean about Cascade, but I still like it (I even grow it). But needs to be subtle in beers this side of the pond. I had a great beer called Copper Cascade in Edinburgh, brewed by Stewart Brewing but they don't seem to make it now
https://untappd.com/b/stewart-brewing-copper-cascade/984470/photos

Will give it a go in the Hobgoblin.

Cheers, I didn't have the attention span to sit through it :)...
"Attention span"? I'd had enough by the second belch, but in the interests of research...

(EDIT: You've snuck in an edit of an earlier post to include a recipe. But you are right, there are two versions and I gave the "cask" in my recipe. It needs the fermentables notched up 10% to make a bottled clone.).

Latest posts

Back