Pear wine????

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APINTA

Regular.
Reaction score
I have just been given a load of pears from a good friend they are still hard ( I Like eating them like that) but there are a load more is there easy way of making wine or cider from it as most of you know I am very new to the brewing so is there a easy way ?

I have 2 demijohns of pear wine on the go. With both have followed the recipe from Andy Hamiltons Booze for Free
Basically chop 2kg pears, skin, cores and all into a pan. Cover with water and bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes, no more.
Cool and strain into a fv. Apply light pressure to get the liquid out of the fruit. Squeeze too hard and you'll get lots of pulp.
I took a hydrometer reading, then added sugar to achieve 1080 and topped up with water.
Added nutrient and pectolase.
Used gervin number 5 yeast.
Must be a good year for pears as several people have passed comments on making pear wine this year.

Perry is made with Perry pears (which can be hard and rubbery like cider apples,) where as pear cider is made with eating pears. Getting juice out of pears by pressing like apples, can be a messy business resulting in a lot of pulp, depending on the ripeness. One of the reasons why I like the boiling method.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back