WOW! - Shipyard American Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do u think they use real hops or flavourings? Just seems too costly.
Oh it's available in tesco fir 1.65 . 4 for six quid.
M mistake that IPA is on offer. But not sure if as hoppy

Do u think they use real hops or flavourings? Just seems too costly.
Oh it's available in tesco fir 1.65 . 4 for six quid.

It's only 85g of hops for a 23L batch, shouldn't be particularly costly for a big brewery. The DIYDog Oubk IPA uses 4 times as much and you can get a 330ml bottle in Tesco for less than £2.

I think the "creaminess" partly comes from using nitrogen to dispense similar to Guinness

Why's that? Didn't anybody like it. Wetherspoons are renowned for moving on dodgy old beers.
No it must be popular as it seems to a standard selling beer there.
Just bought a pack of 4 from the co-op for a fiver (440ml cans) which i thought wasnt a bad price

No it must be popular as it seems to a standard selling beer there.
Just bought a pack of 4 from the co-op for a fiver (440ml cans) which i thought wasnt a bad price
Shipyard's OK (or used to be) I used to drink it in the Porterhouse in Westbourne. Shipyard is one of Peter Austin's projects although I'm not sure who takes credit for the beer- probably Pugsley. Anyway it's knocked out by Marstons, now, in the UK. I just wonder how it's become so denatured as to be attractive to Tim Martin's pile of shitehouses.

Shipyard's OK (or used to be) I used to drink it in the Porterhouse in Westbourne. Shipyard is one of Peter Austin's projects although I'm not sure who takes credit for the beer- probably Pugsley. Anyway it's knocked out by Marstons, now, in the UK. I just wonder how it's become so denatured as to be attractive to Tim Martin's pile of shitehouses.
Hey come on now. We all have a little space in our hearts for a luke warm english breakfast and a 9am pint or two

They used to have it on keg at my local, and converted quite a few lager drinkers. I've had a pint or two on the rare occasions I don't like any of the cask ales that are on. For a mainstream keg beer, it's not too bad at all. Just before the lockdown, it was replaced by Black Sheep on keg, which I tried and didn't particularly enjoy. Seemed a bit lack luster compared with cask.

I rather like this beer. Did anyone ever get a decent recipe? I'm thinking of having a go but with a simplified recipe as I don't want to use 5 different hops. Is there predominant hop that's key to the flavour?

Malt miller has a version with Cascade and Citra with Mosiac for bittering, and a west coast yeast.

Last edited:
I rather like this beer. Did anyone ever get a decent recipe? I'm thinking of having a go but with a simplified recipe as I don't want to use 5 different hops. Is there predominant hop that's key to the flavour?

Malt miller has a version with Cascade and Citra with Mosiac for bittering, and a west coast yeast.
Dark rock offer a part or all grain kit that is pretty good.

The partridge brothers did two reviews on the dark rock kits,one for the whole grain recipe and one for the part grain and suprisingly the part grain came out way on top and both gave it a ten. Have done the part grain one myself only got a few bottles left now and has been a lovely drop, would highly recommend 👍🍻

Latest posts

Back