Acid Attacks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It seems there are more and more people out there who are willing to use corrosive acid to attack others.
We have another widely reported incident today in Stratford, London and a 15 year old has been arrested.
As most people are aware acid on skin can cause life changing injuries unless treated immediately. How the perpetrators have no inhibitions about causing such injuries, leads me to believe they must have some major psychological or worse mental health issue which allows them to go ahead without, apparently, consideration of the outcomes for their victims and also themselves.
And how these people get hold of corrosive acid is another conundrum for me. Years ago you could freely get battery acid but I am sure you cannot do this now. But in spite of this there will always be someone available to supply acid at a price
Sadly I can only see matters getting worse, as more would-be perpetrators jump on the band wagon. We live in a sick world I'm afraid.

They have to bring in tougher sentences as you say acid can cause life changing injuries and they should also be able to prosecute if someone is carrying it without a good reason for doing so.

terrym, I've just checked and battery acid is readily available on the 'net. I suppose you could get it from any high street motor factors, too. Maybe it's time for a register but in reality I doubt that would make a jot of difference.

Star San is highly acidic undiluted that's not something you want neat on your skin, worktop, clothes, carpet either. Mrs DOJ knocked it over unbeknown to me during my first use of it and some of the undetected spill stained a carpet and a wall and removed the wood grain effect on the inside of a laminate drawer. :oops:

Lets hope that doesn't start to get used by those with bad intent.

It's not just acids that are dangerous. One product that springs to mind is Nitromors paint stripper. Get that goo on your skin and it ain't funny. Legislation against just 'acid' would be pointless in dealing with the nutters.

Most of it isn't terrorism. Its criminal assault with a weapon that causes life changing disability and disfigurement but which is unlikely to get you arrested for carrying it and conviction under Section 20 of the offences against the person act 1861 only carries a maximum sentence of five years.
A conviction under section 18 would carry a potential life sentence.
All it would take to dramatically reduce the number of attacks would be a tiny change in legislation so that attacks with corrosives are automatically treated as section 18 offences.

Back