Thoughts please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiddlyWin

Reaction score
Hi guys, Started my Muntons Gold Old English Bitter Beer Kit on the 16th.

Temp is between 20 and 22oC

Used Tesco bottled water as I do with all my brews

Starsan no rinse, although I tend to rinse with some bottled water

Its still in the fermentor but I'm noticing a slight smell to the beer, I went and tested the gravity this even and tasted the beer and caught a suttle medical-ish taste that made my tongue numb.

There's a definite mouthfeel, of soap? maybe, medical, its quite hard to tell really what it is.

I was just wondering what you guys could recommend.

Cheers guys.

Is this the ambient temperature, or the measured temperature of the beer?

...a suttle medical-ish taste that made my tongue numb. There's a definite mouthfeel, of soap?

Sounds like phenols.

From another forum: "Phenol is the active ingredient in Chloraseptic, which is rather renowned for its ability to make your mouth feel numb"

Not had that in anything I've made but it certainly doesn't sound right.

Is it finished, i.e. is the gravity around 1.010? If it were me then I'd be tempted to stick it in a keg with priming sugar and leave it for at least a month and then try it again, the chemical taste may diminish. If it's better after a month but still in the background then leave it longer.

Did you use the kit yeast? If so given it's Muntons and the half sized sachet they provide it could well have been an overworked yeast that has caused the off taste.

Its still in the fermentor but I'm noticing a slight smell to the beer, I went and tested the gravity this even and tasted the beer and caught a suttle medical-ish taste that made my tongue numb.

There's a definite mouthfeel, of soap? maybe, medical, its quite hard to tell really what it is.

Cheers guys.

Just leave it in the fermenter for a extra week(you could even rack it off the yeast) at least I have had beers that taste?smell funny early on and some change completely with a little time - yeast can produce some funny smells off tastes in the early days so give it a chance before chucking it there is a chance it will dissipate and come good

Is this the ambient temperature, or the measured temperature of the beer?

Sounds like phenols.

From another forum: "Phenol is the active ingredient in Chloraseptic, which is rather renowned for its ability to make your mouth feel numb"

Beer temp as tested when I took a reading. Ambient was always 22, I'm dead certain it wasn't temp.

Not had that in anything I've made but it certainly doesn't sound right.

Is it finished, i.e. is the gravity around 1.010? If it were me then I'd be tempted to stick it in a keg with priming sugar and leave it for at least a month and then try it again, the chemical taste may diminish. If it's better after a month but still in the background then leave it longer.

Did you use the kit yeast? If so given it's Muntons and the half sized sachet they provide it could well have been an overworked yeast that has caused the off taste.

Currently sat on 1012.

You know, I was tempted to move to a secondary fermentor with a little spray malt.

I did you kit yeast yes, first time I've ever had an issue with it though. I might buy the stuff to make a yeast starter.

Just leave it in the fermenter for a extra week(you could even rack it off the yeast) at least I have had beers that taste?smell funny early on and some change completely with a little time - yeast can produce some funny smells off tastes in the early days so give it a chance before chucking it there is a chance it will dissipate and come good

All is not lost then :)

Cheers all.

Cheers guys.
I have an all grain lager that tastes medicinal/nail polish like? It's rotten,sorry to worry you,the first two beers tasted fine then this taste overpowered the hops and it's now very noticeable ,beer looks amazing as well,pity,still don't know what I done wrong

I have an all grain lager that tastes medicinal/nail polish like? It's rotten,sorry to worry you,the first two beers tasted fine then this taste overpowered the hops and it's now very noticeable ,beer looks amazing as well,pity,still don't know what I done wrong
What temperature did you pitch the yeast / ferment at?

I pitched the lager yeast at 12 degrees,waited 3 days,nothing happened to the OG so I chucked in an Mangrove Jacks Ale yeast (all I had) and fermented it at 19 degrees for ten days ,maybe the lager yeast woke up? I chucked a load of hops in a dry hop but seems to be wasted.

Ah, bugger.

Yeah, its hard to know where I went wrong, if I even went wrong, I'm not sure at this point in time.

I'm going to give transfer it to another FV which has been properly cleaned and sterilized (damage might already be done, but oh well). Bottle it and leave them for 3 to 4 weeks.

I pitched the lager yeast at 12 degrees,waited 3 days,nothing happened to the OG so I chucked in an Mangrove Jacks Ale yeast (all I had) and fermented it at 19 degrees for ten days ,maybe the lager yeast woke up? I chucked a load of hops in a dry hop but seems to be wasted.
I guess potentially the lager yeast may have produced the off flavour at 19 degrees, although I've not used a lager yeast before.

I've had it once with an ale that ended up fermenting at 24-25 and had a right off taste to it. Had to add a tops of lemonade to take the edge off the taste.

so after a few days of worries the smell and taste has gone.... the smell has anyway, having never had the kit before the taste is new to me.

one thing I have noticed fermentation as stopped at the 1014 mark OG 1040. I'm going to check it again tomorrow and go from there.

thoughts on getting it down to 1006 or below???

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I expected it to give me at the very least 4.5 - 5% but as stated in a previous comment, that fact it was a Mutons kit and it was only 7g of yeast (I didnt even think about looking at that, which I will now do in future) it clearly isn't enough to completely finish fermentation.

I had a medicinal/nail polish smell and taste on a couple of brews earlier this year (one done around the unexpected mini heatwave at August Bank Holiday). I don't have any temperature control apart from sitting the FV in a trug and adding water to cool it down. When I asked on here, thoughts were of 2 possible causes:

1. Wild yeast infection (which seems to be a common response on here at the moment)
2. Stressed yeast causing off flavours. If there is a large variation between daytime and night-time temperatures, the yeast is constantly going to sleep then waking up in 24 hour cycles which is putting unnecessary strain on it and stressing it. This might be even more exaggerated if the yeast is underpitched (ie 7g pack rather than 11g) as it is stressed to begin with.

Whatever the reason, I couldn't salvage either of my 2 brews (and I have only lost 3 out of 65 kits).

My brews have improved enormously after sorting out a brew fridge.
I had a stuck brew a John bull ipa..I added a couple of 100g of sugar solution and gave it a gentle stir. I also upped the temp a few degrees and it still only finished about 1014.
On forum advice I kegged with only 50g if priming sugar and left it in the shed for 5 months...well basically forgot about it! It tasted average to start but now the cooler weather ir here and I've put a couple of c02 cartridges into it it's not half bad!

I had a medicinal/nail polish smell and taste on a couple of brews earlier this year (one done around the unexpected mini heatwave at August Bank Holiday). I don't have any temperature control apart from sitting the FV in a trug and adding water to cool it down. When I asked on here, thoughts were of 2 possible causes:

1. Wild yeast infection (which seems to be a common response on here at the moment)
2. Stressed yeast causing off flavours. If there is a large variation between daytime and night-time temperatures, the yeast is constantly going to sleep then waking up in 24 hour cycles which is putting unnecessary strain on it and stressing it. This might be even more exaggerated if the yeast is underpitched (ie 7g pack rather than 11g) as it is stressed to begin with.

Whatever the reason, I couldn't salvage either of my 2 brews (and I have only lost 3 out of 65 kits).
Sympathys from me, my Lager is ALMOST undrinkable but to make it worse,it's the clearest best looking beer I have ever made

Ahhh buggery :(

What I ended up doing was transferring to another FV which was cleaned/ rinsed and sterile. It seems fine at the moment, just missing that few extra % is all

My brews have improved enormously after sorting out a brew fridge.
I had a stuck brew a John bull ipa..I added a couple of 100g of sugar solution and gave it a gentle stir. I also upped the temp a few degrees and it still only finished about 1014.
On forum advice I kegged with only 50g if priming sugar and left it in the shed for 5 months...well basically forgot about it! It tasted average to start but now the cooler weather ir here and I've put a couple of c02 cartridges into it it's not half bad!

I'm going to be sorting out a brew fridges soon. I can do 2 brews at a time and I have a fridge already just need the extra kit.

I'm trying to find the most cost-effective way to run multiple fridges without spending stupid amounts of money

Latest posts

Back