Elderflower Wine How long

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizidave

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of doing some Elderflower wine, its currently on the bubble.

How long should i leave it on the flowers? (i used dried if it makes any difference)

All the flowers are floating at the top on the bubbles, i keep giving it a shake/stir every time i pass.

Is it ok like this? im worried that the flowers may go moldy or something if left exposed at the top.

Thanks, D

I've never used dried flowers but with fresh I would strain after 3-4 days.

Assuming you've used boiling water and then pitched your yeast after it had cooled sufficiently, it IS “going mouldy or something”, fermentation is just a controlled rotting using an organism of our choice which gives a by-product which we happen to like. Those yeasties will fight off anything else which tries to interefere, and the head of carbon dioxide will protect too.

I racked the elderflower off after 4 days as suggested and it seems to be fermenting nicely.

there is however an "off" smell, a bit sulphury.

Do you think this is ruined or shoudl i let it ferment out and complete the process?

thanks.

Leave it alone, sulphurous smells are fairly common but usually pass.

Latest posts

Back