Coopers chocolate stout/plain stout recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank950

Reaction score
Guys gonna try a coopers dark stout kit.After reading some posts in the beer section i think i have an idea.So! ,i gathered i will need a Coopers Dark Stout Kit with 1.5kg can of LME and some treacle and dark sugar/spray malt extract.I have learned that expermenting is the most fun thing about brewing although its good to ask first about other peoples experiences..interested in adding the Youngs 500g Crushed Chocolate Malt also..can anyone post a good recipe for either..thanks
ps..anyone tried the Coopers Irish Stout?.

I'm just drinking a muntons irish stout + 1.5L dark liquid malt extract + 500g chocolate malt.

I steeped the malt in a grain bag in a saucepan of hot water, then once cooled enough I wrung it out and added to syrup from can, then proceed as normal.

I tasted it and it was overwhelmingly burnt toast / coffee, but now it's fermented and only been in the garage a couple of weeks, I think it's the best stout I've done. Just know that it would get so much better with time too, but I doubt it'll live that long ;)

mak said:
I'm just drinking a muntons irish stout + 1.5L dark liquid malt extract + 500g chocolate malt.

I steeped the malt in a grain bag in a saucepan of hot water, then once cooled enough I wrung it out and added to syrup from can, then proceed as normal.

I tasted it and it was overwhelmingly burnt toast / coffee, but now it's fermented and only been in the garage a couple of weeks, I think it's the best stout I've done. Just know that it would get so much better with time too, but I doubt it'll live that long ;)
So have you ever added treacle/golden syrup to any of your kits?.Sounds like it may not need this..

alank950 said:
Guys gonna try a coopers dark stout kit.After reading some posts in the beer section i think i have an idea.So! ,i gathered i will need a Coopers Dark Stout Kit with 1.5kg can of LME and some treacle and dark sugar/spray malt extract.I have learned that expermenting is the most fun thing about brewing although its good to ask first about other peoples experiences..interested in adding the Youngs 500g Crushed Chocolate Malt also..can anyone post a good recipe for either..thanks

That is waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy too much chocolate malt in 23L especially as you will have lots of other dark malts in the kit and malt extract . . . you'll get a huge roast harshness which will take months to fade. . . and TBH you won't derive a chocolate taste from chocolate malt anyway. . . . but buy some cocoa nibs and steep those in the hot syrup from the kit . . . and you'll get great chocolate flavour.

Treacle is overpowering so if you are going to use it I would suggest no more than 100g, but be aware it will mask other flavours

Aleman said:
alank950 said:

That is waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy too much chocolate malt in 23L especially as you will have lots of other dark malts in the kit and malt extract . . . you'll get a huge roast harshness which will take months to fade. . . and TBH you won't derive a chocolate taste from chocolate malt anyway. . . . but buy some cocoa nibs and steep those in the hot syrup from the kit . . . and you'll get great chocolate flavour.

Treacle is overpowering so if you are going to use it I would suggest no more than 100g, but be aware it will mask other flavours

I was not intending to use 500g of chocolate malt ,thats the size it comes in on ebay..How much cocoa nibs in gramms?.
How long do you suggest steeping the chocolate nibs for.Will these disintegrate or will the mix have to be strained.I assume they are pure chocolate beans.Wondering if i could add them with the sugar while prepairing the kit syrup.

The taste is quite strong must admit, but nothing like before the yeast went in - I thought it was waaaayyyy too much at that point. It's come out alright though.

I guess if I'd mashed this properly it would've been unbearable, but because it was just lightly steeped the flavour is quite nice imo, though definately strong :)

No never tried treacle!

Aleman said:
alank950 said:

Senn an earlier post of yours with some info...

Chocolate Nibs, Make the kit up as directed, remove a couple of pints of the wort and boil up 250g of chocolate nibs for 10 minutes. Strain it back into the FV. . . . A chocolate essence works well as well. if doing this you might want to use some dark malt extract instead of some of the sugar to thicken the kit up

Agree with Aleman...Chocolate Malt does not give a chocolate flavour, it never has done and never will do, its malted to give a chocolate colour. If you want to add coc taste using chocolate then there a few things you need to do/know.
Take a good quality bar of choc...this will contain 70% cocoa and 30% cocoa butter. You canoot use cocoa butter in brewing beer, it just seperates. Exactly the same with cocoa powder. There is a way of extracting he cocoa from the chocolate.
Take some quality chocolate, for a 23li brew you will need 300g. heat this in a bain marie until it reaches 82oC. it will now seperate. you will have the cocoa butter on top and the cocoa beneath, skim off the butter and disgard. You have now got to "temper" the cocoa solids (this makes it dissolvable in water/wort). Line a cup with clingfilm and pour in the choc. Leave to cool for 24 hrs. After 24 hrs a thin white crust will appear, scrape off and throw away. Take remaining choc and heat in a bain marie until it reaches 62oC. leave to cool.
Its now ready to add to your brew.
Choc flavour no fat

johnnyboy1965 said:
Agree with Aleman...Chocolate Malt does not give a chocolate flavour, it never has done and never will do, its malted to give a chocolate colour. If you want to add coc taste using chocolate then there a few things you need to do/know.
Take a good quality bar of choc...this will contain 70% cocoa and 30% cocoa butter. You canoot use cocoa butter in brewing beer, it just seperates. Exactly the same with cocoa powder. There is a way of extracting he cocoa from the chocolate.
Take some quality chocolate, for a 23li brew you will need 300g. heat this in a bain marie until it reaches 82oC. it will now seperate. you will have the cocoa butter on top and the cocoa beneath, skim off the butter and disgard. You have now got to "temper" the cocoa solids (this makes it dissolvable in water/wort). Line a cup with clingfilm and pour in the choc. Leave to cool for 24 hrs. After 24 hrs a thin white crust will appear, scrape off and throw away. Take remaining choc and heat in a bain marie until it reaches 62oC. leave to cool.
Choc flavour no fat

Could i not just steep the syrup in chock nibs and strain?..

johnnyboy1965 said:
Choc flavour no fat

How accurate do you need to be with the temps?

150-200g cocoa nibs soaked in just enough vodka to cover them for 48 hours will release the chocolate flavours. There are around 300 compounds in chocolate that give it it's flavour and not many are water soluble.

Put fluid in bulk priming barrel just before bottling and this gives a good chocolate taste on the back palate and is not overpowering. A cheeky way to get a more milk chocolate flavour is to put around 75g of lactose in too, but you'll have to take that into consideration of you are lactose intolerant.

Using chocolate bars will only introduce oils into the mix even with the best separation. In my opinion anyway...

Donny70 said:
150-200g cocoa nibs soaked in just enough vodka to cover them for 48 hours will release the chocolate flavours. There are around 300 compounds in chocolate that give it it's flavour and not many are water soluble.

Put fluid in bulk priming barrel just before bottling and this gives a good chocolate taste on the back palate and is not overpowering.

Using chocolate bars will only introduce oils into the mix even with the best separation. In my opinion anyway...

Does it have to be vodka..i have a bottle of spiced rum?..no boiling required then?

Vodka is a neutral spirit so it doesn't add any flavours in its own right. If you put it in just before bottling the yeasties don't have a chance to munch through it as they would in primary.

Donny70 said:

Put fluid in bulk priming barrel just before bottling and this gives a good chocolate taste on the back palate and is not overpowering. A cheeky way to get a more milk chocolate flavour is to put around 75g of lactose in too, but you'll have to take that into consideration of you are lactose intolerant.

Soaked in Vodka seems to be the most simple approach..I could soak them for a longer period though ..have you experminted with this atol?.

Was reading a recommended recipe for the Coopers Brewmaster Irish Stout..just add Coopers Malt Extract Light 1.5kg and use Brewing Sugar (Glucose/Dextrose Monohydrate) with carbonation drops...This is my first Stout brew so i will keep it simple i think..

Latest posts

Back