My Day At The Vine Yard

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bones

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I will take you through it..

Collected 8 gallons of juice at 13 brix
Question? Is it right to add suger at this point to bring the gravity up a bit? remember reading a while back that this is the done thing even at pro level wine makers?
Added 4 campden..
Will pitch yeast tomorrow...

P1010203300x225.jpg
P1010205300x225.jpg
P1010206300x225.jpg

Nice pics Bones. Keep the updates coming. I am especially interested in someone actually making wine from grapes! :D
There are so many threads here about country wine, kit wine, turbo ciders, and wurszels. I haven't found one about regular old grape pressed wine.

Good luck!

13 brix is about 1.050 . . . so the grapes are low in sugar this year . . . . it is unusual for commercial growers to add sugar . . . in la belle France I think its a guillotinable offence :D

I would go with white grape concentrate if I was desperate to have a wine of table wine strength . . . on the other hand I've had some really nice Mosels at under 10% . . .really fruity with loads of flavour, and just a nice buzz ideal for drinking on a summer evening

Thanks for for your comments guys but it was too late...
I added 2Kgs of sugar to bring up the OG:1075 this should give me wine around 9/10 %

My early season apples when juiced were 1.050 and the later ones I am pressing now are 1.062, with the perry pears coming out at 1.070, so in comparison 1.050 for grapes is very low, I'd definitely add the sugar as you have done. :thumb:

The variety is as thus:
Seyval Blanc
Seibel 5656 x Seibel 4986
Developed in the 1920’s in France. Now the most widely grown variety in the UK (2002). It crops heavily in this country, even producing good crops in cooler years, and has effective disease resistance. It is a good ‘all rounder’ - often used for blending, and is well suited to oak aging and used for still or sparkling wines. Single varietal wines offer crisp acidity, with quite neutral flavours.

Latest posts

Back