Best Beer Kits you have brewed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done 12 kits so far and the ones I'd do again are

Woodforde's Wherry
St Peters IPA
Coopers Original Stout with 1kg dark DME and a can of treacle
Brewferm Triple

I tasted some of my brother's Festival Razorback IPA this week and that was amazing too so I'd add that to the list even though I've not done it myself.

I have St Peter's IPA and Brewferm Triple on tap and can vouch for them both; best of 10 brewed in recent times. The IPA might just be starting to lose it's hop touch, which is a shame. Wherry was OK but I prefer a higher ABV; I did like the Woodford's Admiral. I'm still only part way through my kit research and will complete the list of 5 later :thumb:.

I think I can add St Peters Ruby red to that list. It's fantastic even after only 3 weeks in the bottle.

I have St Peter's IPA and Brewferm Triple on tap and can vouch for them both; best of 10 brewed in recent times. The IPA might just be starting to lose it's hop touch, which is a shame. Wherry was OK but I prefer a higher ABV; I did like the Woodford's Admiral. I'm still only part way through my kit research and will complete the list of 5 later :thumb:.

I actually quite like the IPA when the hops die down a bit. It's quite malty and strong tasting so it almost begins to taste like a Belgian beer. The sun's out so I'll definitely sink a few of them today!

so far ive been lucky woodfordes nelsons revenge is a must try for anyone, brewed wherry - not as good as n.r. , coopers aussie lager cleared superbly in bottles and now doing coopers stout with 800g sugar 200g dem sugar coco and vanilla extract. im 41 years old and keep saying ive wasted 21 yrs of my life been doing this for just 6-8 weeks love it and no beer bought

Brewferm raspberry beer Framboise/Framboos ?? Is very good,definatley in top 5
Maybe even top 3.
Waiting to taste my first kit with fresh steeped grains
Coopers Draught with 250g of Crystal 1000g of dry malt 200g of dextrose and dryhopped
with 70g of East Kent Goldings
Cheers

Only returned to brewing my own recently and followed package instructions before finding this Forum so this is my short report -
1st brew - Woodfordes Nelsons Revenge - got a second conditioning as I enjoyed it so much
2nd brew - St Peters IPA - excellent,got another in the FV
3rd - Woodfordes Wherry - big mistake in using Coopers drops giving some average to excellent bottles. Will brew again but batch prime now I've read through all the info on here.

As I've only completed 5 brews since returning to HB, and with another 2 on the go it would be wrong for me to recommend 5. So out of these I have been really, happy and surprised with,
1. Woodforde Wherry - easy to make and to my taste.
2. St Peter's IPA - my first brew - really good quality beer and the wife enjoyed it.

The other beers have been alright, (luckily no disasters). I would certainly brew the above again, already got 2 Wherry kit on standby. I am currently going through the beer reviews on the forum picking out ones that would suit my taste, and hopefully on the way I will find other gems. Got high hopes for a tweaked Coopers stout and a couple of IPAs. Great hobby this!

I'm a new homebrewer so I haven't even reached the 5 kit milestone yet. Out of the 4 I've done i'd rate them like this

#1 - Cooper's Ginger Beer with Coopers Beer Enhancer (not sure which. The one recommended)
#2 - Geordie Lager with Brewing Sugar
#3 - Geordie Mild with Brewing Sugar
#4 - Wilko Sweet Newkie Brown (I think I used Beer Enhancer, but I may have used brewing sugar)

I'd have to say that my top 5 would change with the season, and my mood at the time, however, here are some thoughts:

1. Woddfordes Admirals Reserve - cracking kit, with added leg wobbling ability if consumed in quantity
2. Brew Maker Best Of British IPA - replaced kit yeast with Danstar Nottingham and it is a belter of a pint
3. Better Brew Export Lager - brewed with 1.2kg brewing sugar at 21.5 litres
4. Simply Export Stout - made with Extra Dark DME, 2 x jars Holland & Barret Malt Extract - so heavy it had it's own gravitational field :-P
5. Wherry - good to give to visitors (if they think they're getting my Admirals or IPA, they can sod off!) :nah:

When my Brewferm Diabolo has conditioned and been sampled, the list may be amended...

FatCol

Personal preference is for summer style ale, more hoppy, less bitter, so...

1) Muntons Midas Touch
Summer Ale, malt is very different from the norm, very fruity, not so bitter.
2) St Peters Golden Ale
Summer Ale, malt similar to Midas Touch but more balanced all round.
3) Woodford's Admirals
A darker malt than the above, fruity thanks to sachet, needs at least 4 weeks for fruitiness to settle and become less chemical like.
4) St Peters IPA
Best of the IPAs tried so far, possibly as ABV strength comes from malt and not sugar.
5) So far... Woodfords Wherry
Darker malt but a light fresh citrus beer.

Others, in some rough order of preference...
6) Woodfords Nelsons
Good but a little bland.
7) Brewferm Triple
8) Brewferm Diabolo

Both above with strong potential but have suffered problems with unusual flavour deriving from brewing sugar.
9) Muntons Old English Bitter
A good base for an ale, but just that, as there is nothing distinct about it. Possible best bet for dry hopping.
10) Muntons IPA (officers)
Not pale at all; Muntons seem to be running blind. Suffered from strange flavour from sugar addition. Non-Officers version would probably be bland.
11) St. Peters Ruby Red
Possiby a bit harsh (first brew), just found it had a very bitter aftertaste. Made a note to add half of the hop packet if I brew it again.
12) Muntons Smugglers
Too flavoursome (salty like). Sort of Leffe Brun like but not sweet, less hoppy & more malty.
13) Muntons Highland Heavy
Couldn't be more malty, tastes like Soreen Malt Loaf. The malts are roasted, so on the bitter side like Guinness (I like Guinness by the way).

That covers my brews.

Latest posts

Back