WOW! - Shipyard American Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kngsze

Reaction score
Over the weekend I had a pint of a beer I had all but forgotten about – Shipyard American Pale Ale. I had forgotten how great it was. A lovely, light, creamy pint bursting with fruity/citrus zestyness!

I need more of this in my life, and want to attempt to clone it. My google-fu hasn’t turned up much in the way of others who have tried.

Here is what their UK site says about the beer:

“The beer is dry hopped for greater aroma and flavour with a quartet of four American hop varieties - Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial delivering a big, bold, brash hoppy beer”.

The US site shows a few different hops & lists UK pale malt & whole wheat for the grain. Is there anyone else out there who has tried to copy this great beer? Or have any ideas of a possible hop schedule to try? Is it the wheat that will add “creaminess”?

Taking the info from their US (https://shipyard.com/content/american-pale-ale) site I would guess they have used Challenger for bittering and a combination of the above for aroma and dry hopping. I understand Shipyard teamed with Marstons to create this beer, so would also guess towards Ringwood yeast also.

You expert advice is muchly appreciated.

P.S if you see this somewhere – do not hesitate to grab one!

It isn't in mine. But, I'll be honest, it's a good reliable pint, but there are plenty of better pale ales and English bitters brewed with American hops.

I tried a bottle and didn't particularly rate it. My current shop bought beer of choice is Fuller's Wild River or Thornbridge Jaipur.

Thanks for the feedback guys - never did get a recipe. Also never got round to giving it a go either, being fairly new to partials etc. I'd have no idea where to start with the hops etc.

I too have started to see it in my local Spoony's - the Devils Backbone IPA they seem to have all the time now is also a solid pint if you've not tried it.

clibit/rodabod - if there are better then I'd love to try them too! Never heard or seen any of those you mention around me though, unfortunately.

I love Bengali Tiger. £1.99 absolute bargain. The Flying Dog IPA bottles in Spoons are also great. Similar price, bit more i think.

I love Bengali Tiger. �£1.99 absolute bargain. The Flying Dog IPA bottles in Spoons are also great. Similar price, bit more i think.

Flying dog? Are those the ones with the Ralph steadman art on the bottles? Very nice if I remember rightly

Devils Backbone is another fairly similar Wetherspoons beer to the Shipyard, more similar than the Bengali Tiger, Flying Dog and Lagunitas anyway.

I didn't see much point starting a new thread but my lord, I thank the chap in the pub who recommended this one last night.
It's on tap like another post says in spoons.what a belter of hop flavour.
It's been there with the lagar which my eyes overlook. If they have no hoppy beers this is definitely one to have as a back up.

I made one that was a lot tweak using a John bull ipa and cascade, citra, centennial and amarillo hops, tasted close enough to be an awesome pint

Latest posts

Back