Youngs American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike-os

Landlord.
Reaction score
well following the reviews and advice here I finally got myself a Kit :mrgreen:

Cant believe how much concentrate there is in these kits.... or how fast you can get to fermenting:-D

cant wait to see if it lives up to the hype

Useful warning ...a good 125 to 150mm of foam this morning. .... in a normal fv this would have been all over the place. ... and that's at 23c

My Youngs American IPA never went crazy like others have mentioned. Was a pretty steady ferment, at 20C. I left it in the FV for a good three weeks and it still hadn't cleared, tho it did get to the target SG.

Even now a couple of months after bottling there is a fair bit of haze to the beer.

BUT.....it is a right good drop. The 100g of dry hops gives it a real hoppy hit (obviously!), and at around 6.5% ABV its not to be taken lightly.

I'm sure you will be very happy with this beer.

Mike I'm brewing the same kit, and wondered if you had the same situation as me? The kit has been in FV for 8 days - tried a little taster and was very yeasty! No dry hopping done yet however. How did yours taste before conditioning?

Mike I'm brewing the same kit, and wondered if you had the same situation as me? The kit has been in FV for 8 days - tried a little taster and was very yeasty! No dry hopping done yet however. How did yours taste before conditioning?

I suspect it will either be fermenting still or just about finishing and cleaning up, either that it will have a lot of yeast in suspension I wouldn't expect it to taste that good after 8 days, kit beers in particular .. you could test to see if you reached your FG, then I would just leave it and dry hop 5 days before you decide to bottle/keg

I think I will dry hop in a weeks time, and bottle a week on Sunday. That's means 3 weeks in the FV. Followed by 4 weeks conditioning. Hopefully that will clear up any issues?

+1 on Covrich above.

Having recently completed this kit, I'd say 8 days is nothing like long enough. I had mine in the FV for three weeks and it really could've done with a bit longer or a cold crash to clear it a bit.

I think high gravity kits like these (i.e. 1050+ SG) need a good while longer than your standard Coopers.

My advice would be to take a hydro reading to see how its going, and then leave it at least another ten days before dry hopping, then bottle about four days after that.

only been 5 days, will leave at least another 10 before i add the hops

slowed right down as you would expect, but not tempted to have a taste just yet, one thing i have learned already... take your time ;)

planning an AG now :mrgreen:

I have just finished this kit, 3 weeks in fv with 4 days of dry hop. I have read a lot of t about this kit and decided to adjust it a little. Usually first go I would just do it to the instructions, but from what I've read it's pretty much as close as you can get to goose island iPa. I do like it, but prefer a little more fruity flavour like punk ipa, so decided to add a hop tea of citra. After a week in the bottle I had to try it. WOW, real punchy with the 100g of hops supplied, and I can do taste the likeness to goose island, but the added citra has given it a really nice tropical fruity overtone. It's now been in bottle for 3 weeks and the hop aroma has gone a little, but now tastes more mellow and seems like the hop combo is blending nicely. The initial slight green beer taste is pretty much gone and it tastes great. One thing though is it won't clear.... At all... I cold crashed it and racked it off twice before bottling as I had read about its cloudy nature. I think it must be to do with the hop pellets and the sheer amount but maybe be wrong. Great beer though

8 days in and starting to settle I guess.....

time to add hops or wait a bit?

2015-10-17 10.30.13.jpg

8 days in and starting to settle I guess.....

time to add hops or wait a bit?

If the gravity has finished then you can add the hops.. the instructions say you can do it towards the end butr personally I wait until its finished.

I would only add the hops 5 days before bottle day.. so if you plan to bottle next sunday for example, I would chuck them in tuesday

just asking as it appears to be settling out, will do sg later but will probably still leave until a week tuesday to hop as I originally planned, then bottle on the weekend

I need the FV for a stout brew ( the copers one with krausen ring - plenty of headroom before it pops) so just dry hopped now and the smell is driving me totally nuts :rofl:

will bottle weds/thurs rather than saturday nest week then I can reuse the FV at the weekend :rofl:

On another subject... is the yeast supplied with this kit worth harvesting? or should i just harvest the US-05 i will use this weekend instead?

Back