Big batches

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euan1984

Reaction score
Hi i have saw a 120 litre fermenting vessel for sale online £78 seems good value , can i in theory make say 5 x a certain beer kit by simply adding 5 x malt extract and 5 x fermentables and also 5 x yeast , this is only a plan as i have tonight made 5 x beer bandits brew (desperados) and i had to clean and sanitise 5 x vessels as well as 5 tropical tank heaters etc you get the idea if any one has tried this i would appreciate some feedback , cheers folks

1466706726944-413334776.jpg

If you have the space and can consume the beer within a reasonable time go for it,

imho the number 1 reason behind sticking to 5 gallon batches is its a manageable volume, it can be lumped up from ground to waist height by a single brewer in most cases for simple gravity transfer, but larger volumes then demand more complex systems like pumps hoses etc, and being on the cold side you need kit you can sanitise to a comfortable level. But 5 x 5 gallon fermentors solves that and also provides the option to ferment with different yeasts and apply different aroma hop additions for variations on a theme.

Its a case of 'more eggs in a single basket' tho so a bad brewday and a dodgy result will leave you with 5x sub par beer to deal with too..

and dont forget 5 x the bottle washing, rinsing, sanitising and then filling ;)

as an AG brewer i went big and then bought a grainfather and am back to brewing 5 gallon batches again..

because if you like brewing and brew more volume then you dont need to brew as often ;(

Thanks for the info you have certainly gave me something to think about , i have been kegging my beer so bottles aint a problem lol. I was looking forward to maybe just sticking to simple batches i have already used and successful with , i suppose it is trial and error in the end up everyone is different , thanks

Latest posts

Back