Blackberry wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thing that puts me off doing a large batch is boiling all that water. Defrosting berries today. Going to do a 3 gallon batch tomorrow. Going to up the blackberries to 11lb instead of 9, add a youngs concentrate and reduce the sugar very slightly. The last time I did this it came out very strong.

Do you really need the boiling water?

I've done this as per the initial post, but it's fermenting extremely slowly, and I mean not even enough to move the airlock. Should I introduce more sugar?
I would be hesitant to add more sugar, how long ago did you make it? Check the airlock and bung are seated properly so the gas isn't getting out elsewhere. Is it in a warm place (not too warm) ie not left on a cold tile floor.

Do you really need the boiling water?

Not sure but told that the main reason for adding boiling water, not to be confused with boiling the fruit, is to kill off any wild yeasts, bugs and bacteria etc. I freeze the fruit first then defrost and mash a bit so I guess some of the nasties could survive this process as well.

Boiling water is always a good idea like Vinotinto says just as a belt & braces approach to eradicating any wild yeasts even if teh fruit has been frozen. Some fruit such as Plums can be a b!tch to clear if boiling water is used on them, so a cold water method is suggested and in that case the must will need to be hit with Sodium Metabisulphate Solution (i.e. campden Tablet) to stun wild yeasts before our yeast can be added. My only wine to ever go bad was a cold water method one, so personally I always use boiling water.

I always freeze, it kills bacteria so there is no point in adding boiling water.
Whilst it might be boiling when its tipped out of the kettle it isn't anywhere near once its hit the fruit so has no effect anyhow.
If you wanted you could add Campden....

I don't wear braces either, just a belt :)

I always freeze, it kills bacteria so there is no point in adding boiling water.
Whilst it might be boiling when its tipped out of the kettle it isn't anywhere near once its hit the fruit so has no effect anyhow.
If you wanted you could add Campden....

I don't wear braces either, just a belt :)

Freezing will not necessarily kill wild yeasts though. ;)

I thought freezing stuff worked by stopping the physical movement of bacteria. Once thawed they're free to go again!

my thoughts exactly. I believe, some bacteria can be killed by freezing but for most yeasts freezing them simply puts them into a hibernation state. Either way, I always use boiling water, better safe than sorry.:whistle:

my thoughts exactly. I believe, some bacteria can be killed by freezing but for most yeasts freezing them simply puts them into a hibernation state. Either way, I always use boiling water, better safe than sorry.:whistle:

Freezing or dehydration will not kill everything. It will kill a few things but not the majority. You need to boil the fruit for 15 minutes or add something that will kill all the nasties, potentially a stabiliser. Camden tablets do not kill everything. (Brain not working at full capacity at the moment having drunk a large quantity of Frankencider).

Bottled this up today - lovely crystal look, and taste is amazing !
This is going into the rack for Xmas now.
Now to pick some apples and kick off a few batches of Apple wine [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure but told that the main reason for adding boiling water, not to be confused with boiling the fruit, is to kill off any wild yeasts, bugs and bacteria etc. I freeze the fruit first then defrost and mash a bit so I guess some of the nasties could survive this process as well.
I use Tesco Ashdown water straight from the PET after steam extraction of the fruit. Never had one spoil.

Latest posts

Back