Worried about Wherry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernaaard

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am worried about my first Wherry. Put it on last night about 8pm and checked on it this morning.

Can't see any of the usual signs of fermentation starting. No Krausen to speak of, and I am a bit worried it hasn't started.

Could it be cos with the Wherry there is no extra fermentables that it is taking a bit longer?

Any advice or reassurance very greatful for?

Too early to worry about your wherry, it can often take 24 to 48 hours till you can see it's started.

As @Honk has said it just needs longer to get going, assuming you didn't pitch at too high a temperature.
If you have used the kit yeast, it's only likely to fail if the kit is well past it's use by date, although your biggest concern should then be about a stuck fermentation at about 1.020, see kit review http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17784. I would get a spare packet of ale yeast ready to use (Wilko or CML) in case that happens.

As everyone says, to early to worry. The kit yeast is only 6gms (I think ) and not really enough to get going quickly. As terrym says: it might stick around 1.020. It's a good idea to have a spare pack of ale yeast handy. :thumb:

I normally do single can kits with extra fermentables added. This however is my first brew since Jan and intended to be my Xmas beer so I am just a little worried.

Being as it is my first 2 can kit, and it has reacted differently to the 4-5 brews I have previously done, i guess i am just panicking a little. Pitched yeast at between 24 and 22 deg but have done that before with no problems.

As for sticking I thought I saw somewhere that giving a min 2 weeks in the primary FV helps to avoid this? I always follow the 2FV+22ndFV+2 months in the bottle rule. Do you guys think that should be ok?

I normally do single can kits with extra fermentables added. This however is my first brew since Jan and intended to be my Xmas beer so I am just a little worried.

Being as it is my first 2 can kit, and it has reacted differently to the 4-5 brews I have previously done, i guess i am just panicking a little. Pitched yeast at between 24 and 22 deg but have done that before with no problems.

As for sticking I thought I saw somewhere that giving a min 2 weeks in the primary FV helps to avoid this? I always follow the 2FV+22ndFV+2 months in the bottle rule. Do you guys think that should be ok?
If this brew has not got going within 48 hours then you will need to repitch with more yeast. That said it should kick off soon, and 22-24*C pitching will not have killed the yeast for sure.
If your brew sticks at 1.020 as some Wherries do (including one I did) you have to intervene, just leaving it is not an option imo since the yeast has basically gone to sleep. Normal remedies to get the fermentation going again are a gentle swirl of the FV contents to disturb the yeast without removing the lid, or a gentle stir without splashing, raising the temperature a couple of degrees or so, or repitching with fresh yeast.
Finally it makes little difference to the yeast whether you have used a two can kit or a one can with extras.

If this brew has not got going within 48 hours then you will need to repitch with more yeast. That said it should kick off soon, and 22-24*C pitching will not have killed the yeast for sure.
If your brew sticks at 1.020 as some Wherries do (including one I did) you have to intervene, just leaving it is not an option imo since the yeast has basically gone to sleep. Normal remedies to get the fermentation going again are a gentle swirl of the FV contents to disturb the yeast without removing the lid, or a gentle stir without splashing, raising the temperature a couple of degrees or so, or repitching with fresh yeast.
Finally it makes little difference to the yeast whether you have used a two can kit or a one can with extras.
Hi TerryM,

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that when I use simple fermentables like treacle for example it was easier for the yeast to start digesting? Shows what i know.

OK so I won't panic for now and will.update tomorrow if nothing has happened.

Hi TerryM,

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that when I use simple fermentables like treacle for example it was easier for the yeast to start digesting? Shows what i know.

OK so I won't panic for now and will.update tomorrow if nothing has happened.
You are right in thinking some sugars are easier for yeast to metabolise e.g dextrose (glucose) is 'better' than table sugar/sucrose. However in practice I wouldn't have thought you would really notice the difference in a healthy fermentation.

What temperature is it at?

Try to keep it on the warm side if you can to prevent a stuck brew, around 20/21C. ASs everyone says, the packet of yeast supplied with that kit (and a lot of other kits made by Muntons) isn't really enough for a 23L brew. Some poeple are lucky and it ferments straight out, some end up with a brew stuck at 1020.

What temperature is it at?

Try to keep it on the warm side if you can to prevent a stuck brew, around 20/21C. ASs everyone says, the packet of yeast supplied with that kit (and a lot of other kits made by Muntons) isn't really enough for a 23L brew. Some poeple are lucky and it ferments straight out, some end up with a brew stuck at 1020.
Including this one I always brew to 20l personally. I dont mind it being a bit stronger and neither do my guest samplers. Plus I find it gives a better fuller taste as well.

I assume I am not the only one doing that?

Ok, panic over. Just been in the cupboard under the stairs to check and there is an almighty Krause n formed.

Looks like I was having a panic over nothing. But thank you all for the reassurance 😀

I don't think I've ever done a Wherry with the kit yeast, I use the kit yeast for baking bread. Thè next Wherry I do I want to use S04 with it, 50g of dark brown sugar and a dry hop, I so miss the Tesco Sales with the Wherry for £16.50.

I don't think I've ever done a Wherry with the kit yeast, I use the kit yeast for baking bread. Thè next Wherry I do I want to use S04 with it, 50g of dark brown sugar and a dry hop, I so miss the Tesco Sales with the Wherry for £16.50.
I have only ever used the packet yeast from the kits if I am honest, and to be fair I have never had a problem with them not fermenting out.

I usually give it 2 maybe 3 weeks in the FV. Then I siphon off to a secondary vessel and give it another week.

Then I batch prime on the lower end of the scale to avoid it being too gassy, and bottle condition for as long as possible until willpower gives out.

I have only ever used the packet yeast from the kits if I am honest, and to be fair I have never had a problem with them not fermenting out.

I usually give it 2 maybe 3 weeks in the FV. Then I siphon off to a secondary vessel and give it another week.

Then I batch prime on the lower end of the scale to avoid it being too gassy, and bottle condition for as long as possible until willpower gives out.

It's worth ordering a yeast online and trying it out, especially as you you can get 3 or 4 brews from it and can try it across a range of beers. It's another variable that can really bring different flavour and character to your beer.

It's worth ordering a yeast online and trying it out, especially as you you can get 3 or 4 brews from it and can try it across a range of beers. It's another variable that can really bring different flavour and character to your beer.
Is there a good all rounder I should be looking to purchase for further brews?

hi there,

I swear by wilkos ale yeast at £1.75 a sachet I have been brewing for over 3 years now all kit brews, and I don't use the kit yeast in any of them I just add the wilko sachet and I have never had a stuck brew yet.

Is there a good all rounder I should be looking to purchase for further brews?

On recommendation from other forum members, I have started using yeast from the Crossmyloof brewery. It's available from ebay at about a pound per packet when you buy five packets and comes in a variety of types to suit your favoured beer styes(s).

Alternatively Gervin ale yeast from Wilko is a versatile backup.

hi there,

I swear by wilkos ale yeast at ��£1.75 a sachet I have been brewing for over 3 years now all kit brews, and I don't use the kit yeast in any of them I just add the wilko sachet and I have never had a stuck brew yet.
Provided the kit is well within date there's usually nowt wrong with most kit yeasts imo (or certainly the ones I have done) and so I never replace them, can't see the point. The exception seems to be Muntons Wherry and Sundew which do require substitution, but this isn't a problem for me anymore because I decided I wasn't a fan of either kit. It is however a good idea to always have back up yeast in the fridge and keep an eye on the use by date.

Latest posts

Back